Route to Switzerland

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Craig

This year my route to Italy is via switzerland Im using no toll roads .Mainly motorways except for a small section south of Nancy. The route is from www.viamichelin.com in the option menu I have ticked Favour motorways and ticked no toll roads.

Hope it helps

Ian

1 Leave Coquelles(Euro tunnel)

2 Continue along: Avenue Charles de Gaulle

3 At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit Continue along: D243E

4 At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit Continue along: A16

5 Close to Dunkerque, Continue along: D625

6 Take E42towards dunkirk

7 Continue along: A25 / E42 towards lille

8 Continue along: A1 / E17 / E42

9 Continue along: A27 / E42

Entry into Belgium

10 Continue along: E42 / E429 / A8

11 Continue along: E42 / A16

12 Continue along: E19 / E42 / A7

13 Continue along: E42 / A15

14 Continue along: A4

Entry into Luxembourg

15 Continue along: E25 / A6

16 Continue along: E25 / A3

Entry into France

17 Continue along: A31 towards Metz

18 Take E23 towards Nancy

19 Continue along: A33 / E23

20 Continue along: A330 / E23

21 Take E23

22 Continue along: N57 / E23

23 Continue along: N66 / E512

24 Continue straight on

25 At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit Continue along: N66 / E512

26 Continue along: A36 / E54 / E60

27 Continue along: A35 / E25 / E60

Entry into Swiss

28 Continue along: A3 / E25 / E60

29 Arrive in Basel

Destination: Basel, centre

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Craig,

Yes I have done this route and will be doing so again this year en route to Lake Garda. Its all free, other than the Swiss Vignette, but most of the two lane motorways in Germany have a ban on vehicles towing a trailer using the outside lane during the day. The times are posted, but its something like 7-7. There is also a speed limit of 80kph, so if you are unlucky you can get stuck with the lorries.

Percy,

I thought this year I would try going through Austria, rather than Switzerland, to Italy. The vignette is significantly cheaper, and you only need the one.

Gary

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Craig

I have travelled the France, Belguim, Luxembourg, France route Switzerland/Italy in 2006 and 2007. I originally got this route from Caravan forums. My only variation is that I travel east on the N66, through the Ballon de Vosges (sp?) which is a very scenic and very towable N road through these mountains. This route is excellent quality FREE autoroutes, apart from N66 stretch, the Swiss border, We had a very pleasant couple of days at Camping Des Acasias in Cernay enroute.

I would only make 2 comments. Firstly in 2006 I crossed into Switzerland from France which meant that I had to travel through the centre of Basle - a lot of roadworks. In 2007 I took advice gleaned from caravan websites and crossed the Rhine into Germany just before entering Switzerland. That meant I avoided the centre of Basle - a BIG IMPROVEMENT.

Secondly in 2007 on the way home, after a breakdown, we had a, Red Pennant, provided hire tow car which was a little underpowered for our 'van and so I opted for the Brenner motorway route from Italy into Austria and then Germany. I found that, although free, the German autobahns were not such good roads as the French autoroutes and I encountered a lot of roadworks.

I hope this is some help. Have a good holiday.

Tim

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Craig,

Yes I have done this route and will be doing so again this year en route to Lake Garda. Its all free, other than the Swiss Vignette, but most of the two lane motorways in Germany have a ban on vehicles towing a trailer using the outside lane during the day. The times are posted, but its something like 7-7. There is also a speed limit of 80kph, so if you are unlucky you can get stuck with the lorries.

Percy,

I thought this year I would try going through Austria, rather than Switzerland, to Italy. The vignette is significantly cheaper, and you only need the one.

Gary
Gary

If your intending to go through austria to Italy via the Brenner pass remember its a toll road of 12 euro each way plus your vignette of 7 euro(10 day ).

Percy

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Just got back from Switzerland last Friday.Having gleaned the forum, this is what we did.

France,Belgium,Luxemburg, and then stopped for 2 nights in Germany.Entered Switzerland from the German side avoiding Basle.It was a long run and we did encounter a lot of traffic on route.

However due to a change of plan we decided to come back through France.We went through Basle into France and spent 3 nights at Longres.We then continued our journey and had another 3 nights not too far from calais.

We travelled with some friends(also towing) and over several beers we came to the conclusion that if we travel again to Switzerland we would definately use the toll roads through France.Personal choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts