Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Were off to Le Logis du Breuil nr Royan next week July 23rd for two weeks.

anyone pass comments on the site and nearby area/beaches and suitability for cycling.

What sort of temperatures can we expect?

what are the local resteruants like for eating out?

and finnaly what is the best route from Caen?

Went to Le Pin Parasol nr Lac Du Janay nr St Gilles De Croix (fantastic site) travelled down from Caen,Rennes, Nantes dont think I could drive over the very high bridge over the Loire river again nearly passed out with vertigo (beware if you are using this bridge for the first time).

I was thinking of using Caen,les Mans,Tours,Poitiers and Niort any comments appreciated please.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wayne, I use the route from Caen to Poitiers regularly but carry on south so I don't know the last bit to Royan. The road from Caen to Tours has been improved greatly over the last 5 years or so. The A28 is under construction and last year was open from Alencon to Ecommoy so Le Mans is bypassed. The A28 will eventually stretch from the A13 near Rouen to the A10 at Tours. In any event the A158/A138/A28/A10 is no problem but you can avoid the A28/A10 autoroutes if you wish.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have been to this site several times. It is an excellent well run site owned by the Gagnard family. The camping area is set round a huge open grassed area known as the Prairie. This separates the camping area from the reception, restaurant, shop, etc.

There is one long beach along the Gironde estuary with parking all the way along, but it will be very busy whilst you are there.

There is a wonderful cycle way through the pine trees along the coast so it is well worth taking your bikes.

The temperature can be quite hot there and it boasts that it gets as much sun as the Mediteranean coast.

Christian, the main boss man organises a coach trip to Cognac which is well worth it. He also organises an early morning walk through the pine forests to the beach for breakfast.

Unfortunately you will have missed the fireworks in Royan to celebrate the storming of the Bastille.

If you are travelling down the autoroute to Poitiers you may as well stay on it and come off at Saintes and come into Royan that way. You will actually by pass Royan itself.

Give our regards to Christian from the Millers. We were there last year. I'm sure that you will have a great holiday there.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
We have been to this site several times. It is an excellent well run site owned by the Gagnard family. The camping area is set round a huge open grassed area known as the Prairie. This separates the camping area from the reception, restaurant, shop, etc.

There is one long beach along the Gironde estuary with parking all the way along, but it will be very busy whilst you are there.

There is a wonderful cycle way through the pine trees along the coast so it is well worth taking your bikes.

The temperature can be quite hot there and it boasts that it gets as much sun as the Mediteranean coast.

Christian, the main boss man organises a coach trip to Cognac which is well worth it. He also organises an early morning walk through the pine forests to the beach for breakfast.

Unfortunately you will have missed the fireworks in Royan to celebrate the storming of the Bastille.

If you are travelling down the autoroute to Poitiers you may as well stay on it and come off at Saintes and come into Royan that way. You will actually by pass Royan itself.

Give our regards to Christian from the Millers. We were there last year. I'm sure that you will have a great holiday there.
Hi Dusty,

You wouldn't happen to be Dusty Miller that worked for Diamond Offhore would you ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Hi Mac, no I'm not that man.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Watch the traffic around nearby La palmyre zoo (coast road) !!

Good site - weather normally hot this time of year

By the way the zoo, if you like that sort of thing is brilliant

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wayne, been to Royan many times and will continue to do so, we stay at a site at St George-Didonne, south-east of Royan. I guess by now you have sorted your route but I highly recommend a visit to the lighthouse 'Phare de Cordonne'? which is approx 10 kilometers out to sea. If you are lucky the tides will allow landing during your stay, cost last year was 28 euro's for the trip, book in the harbour. This is a stunning visit and you are basically on a sandbank with a short walk to the rocks and the lighthouse. If you go you will marvel at the quality of this centuries old build and the detail which went in to the whole project. Hope you enjoy your visit to Royan, Cheers, Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wayne, been to Royan many times and will continue to do so, we stay at a site at St George-Didonne, south-east of Royan. I guess by now you have sorted your route but I highly recommend a visit to the lighthouse 'Phare de Cordonne'? which is approx 10 kilometers out to sea. If you are lucky the tides will allow landing during your stay, cost last year was 28 euro's for the trip, book in the harbour. This is a stunning visit and you are basically on a sandbank with a short walk to the rocks and the lighthouse. If you go you will marvel at the quality of this centuries old build and the detail which went in to the whole project. Hope you enjoy your visit to Royan, Cheers, Tony
Sea sickness is free!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts