'Running-in' before Towing?

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
It probably shows my age but I one always used to have to 'run-in' a car before putting it under max laod. Today things are different but, with a brand new (diesel) shouldn't one put around 1000 miles on the clock before hitching up a 1.5 tonner?

John

Hi, John

the handbook for my 03 Shogun suggested allowing the engine and brakes to bed in before Towing or subjecting the vehicle to excessive effort. I thought this was good advice and did about 1000 Miles before Hiching up. Although modern Cars don't appear to require running in, as Engines are Bench tested, I feel Happier to take it easy untill there is a 1000 on the clock then gradually increase speed rev's Etc. Whether you use it for towing or not.It certainly can't do any harm. Some Manufacturers even say that a Diesel Engine doesn't achieve it's true potentional untill it has done several Thousand Miles.

Eddie.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Very few manufacturers recommend any running-in period these days. Components are built to closer tolerances and better surface finish. Lubricants are better able to protect from new.

Having said that, I always run my cars in! I voluntarily restrict to half throttle and 60 mph for the first 1,000 miles and then gradually increase this limit over the next 1,000 miles. Only after 2,000 miles do I start any towing.

I expect, and get, large mileages (150,000 plus) from mundane Vauxhalls without any significant repairs.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
This is all sound advice and means that I shall have to get some early mileage on the vehicle (expected to be a KIA Sorento 2.5 auto) asap; otherwise I won't be caravanning before the year end :-(

John

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

The historic reason for running in was primarily to allow the piston rings and bores to "self machine" themselves into a close fit - then do an oil change at 600 or so miles to wash all the metal fragments away.

Really you don't need to do that any more, unless of course the manufacturer places a special requirement on the first few thousand miles. For instance, VW Audi recommend that you keep an eye on oil consumption during early ownership.

You should be aware that the tyres fitted to a new car, or every time you replace tyres, will need about 500 miles before the silicon mould-release compound has worn off the surface. They will be quite a bit more slippery than normal, so care is recommended.

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robert : ut what about towing from new? Say after around 500 miles? The consensus appears to be that I should put 1000 on the car before hitching up?

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From my experience, the oil and fuel consumption gradually improves up to 20,000 and then stabilises. It will of course start to drop again at very high mileages but that's the sign to start evaluating a replacement.

I'm not suggesting that you need to run-in for 20,000 miles but that's how long it takes to settle down.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

Modern engine design and engineering has virtually eliminated the need for running in, and what is required is usually covered during the pre-installation engine test at the manufacturer - unless the manufacturer stipulates a running-in period.

So what was a formal running-in period has been replaced by a small set of fairly indeterminate things that need to be considered by the driver, such as the need to take care on new tyres, allowing the brake pads to bed-in before doing any heavy braking, etc.

By the time 500 miles are up, the brake pads should have conformed to the shape of the discs, the tyres should be clean, etc.

My car has a fairly large, high output diesel engine, coupled to an automatic gearbox - so I rarely use full throttle - preferring to let the engine and gearbox to stay at peak torque. So I guess I'm always driving the car like you once did to run an engine-in.

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Roger; no I won't wait 20,000 miles. In fact my query was not concerned with mpg as such; I was concerned with any potential damage to the mechanics due to placing a max load on a new and 'tight' engine. 500 miles seems reasonable; anyway I won't be able to contain myself for any longer I will have to get out there with my 'van !!

John

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

The Kia Sedona manual specifically states 500miles on clock before towing ! Have a look when you get yours, I stuck to it just in case ( warranty !) !!!

Tina x

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

The Kia Sedona manual specifically states 500miles on clock before towing ! Have a look when you get yours, I stuck to it just in case ( warranty !) !!!

Tina x
Hi Tina,see you at easter but remember I go to bed at 8pm so no loud singing!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John,

You wouldn't get up and run 10 miles and the human body has got to be the best design. But a little bit of running practice is the done thing. ha ha ha.

So why should a car be any better?

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

Tina x
OK I promise no singing in return for an easter egg(choccy one!)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John,

You wouldn't get up and run 10 miles and the human body has got to be the best design. But a little bit of running practice is the done thing. ha ha ha.

So why should a car be any better?
i work with for a van and truck hire company and you can not tell white van man to run a new van engine in,they only know pedel to metal and first oil change on merc vans at 20,000 miles. some vans doing 100,000 + miles a year no problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i work with for a van and truck hire company and you can not tell white van man to run a new van engine in,they only know pedel to metal and first oil change on merc vans at 20,000 miles. some vans doing 100,000 + miles a year no problem
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have a Sorento 2.5 diesel auto and Kia recommend 500 miles at no more than 50 mph when first towing the van. However, this is only a guide as the car towed so easily at 50-55mph on motorways that the real arae to watch was over revving on steeper climbs such as the A46 out of Bath where to do 50mph would have placed far more strain on the engine than on a motorway. The car has reduced its oil consumption since I had it and it has now done 11000 miles and I have only put in 3/4 litre overall. I do take the engine revs up to over 3500rpm daily so that it allows full bore running as just left in auto she stays around 2000-2500 for most of my journeys.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have a Sorento 2.5 diesel auto and Kia recommend 500 miles at no more than 50 mph when first towing the van. However, this is only a guide as the car towed so easily at 50-55mph on motorways that the real arae to watch was over revving on steeper climbs such as the A46 out of Bath where to do 50mph would have placed far more strain on the engine than on a motorway. The car has reduced its oil consumption since I had it and it has now done 11000 miles and I have only put in 3/4 litre overall. I do take the engine revs up to over 3500rpm daily so that it allows full bore running as just left in auto she stays around 2000-2500 for most of my journeys.
Thanks 'other Clive' You said that " Kia recommend 500 miles at no more than 50 mph when first towing the van"; does this mean to wait for 500 before towing or that you can tow staright away but to restrict speed to 50 mph; surely the former.

Anyway, your post is most encouraging !!

regards

John

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
KIA have just advised me that whilst they ooffcially state that no 'running in' is required before towing; they would nevertheless "recommend" 1000 miles on the clock "and a warm engine before hitching up" !

Cheers to all

John

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Thanks 'other Clive' You said that " Kia recommend 500 miles at no more than 50 mph when first towing the van"; does this mean to wait for 500 before towing or that you can tow staright away but to restrict speed to 50 mph; surely the former.

Anyway, your post is most encouraging !!

regards

John
Hi John, good question. I did both. 500 miles without the van running just as normal but not going to max revs or overlaoding...difficult with the autobox. Then I logged my van miles seperately and tried not to exceed 50mph over 500 miles of towing. So the car had done something like 3500 miles before I had completed my 500 miles towing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts