S2 Barcelona Noisy Water Pump

Oct 7, 2021
Visit site
We have a S2 Bailey Unicorn Barcelona and the pump has always been noisy any advice to quieten the pump.

Second question towel rail in the bathroom insufficient for heat in the bathroom anything to increase the heat in the bathropom.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Phil1, and welcome.

Look at the knob on the side of the pump, it should be on 2. They often get left on full 5. Which is noisy. Also. Make sure it is bled,.

I have also heard that out of date fluid can be a cause.

The towel rail not providing enough heat also points to air in the system. The towel rail is not on its own, there is a finned radiator hidden below it. My Valencia and my current Lunar have the same heating arrangements and are sufficient.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have you bled the system recently to remove all air? It is suggested that pump is turned up to 5 for this operation and once all air has been removed from systme turn back down to 2. Also nose down may help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Phil.

Can I reverse your two questions.
Second question towel rail in the bathroom insufficient for heat in the bathroom anything to increase the heat in the bathropom.
I deduce you must have a hot water circulating system, most likely an Alde space heater system. I am not familiar enough with this make of product to offer specific advice. The heating system may need a service - when was it last given one? apart from that I'd agree with the other replies and it might be wise to make sure the system is bled and properly topped up. You should have the instructions in the heaters instruction book. I don't know whether you can increase the circulating waters temperature, but apart from those points without increasing the size of the radiator in the bathroom I cannot see another way round it.

We have a S2 Bailey Unicorn Barcelona and the pump has always been noisy any advice to quieten the pump.
As this was your first question and the title of the thread is S2 Barcelona Noisy Water Pump, I presume you are referring to the cold water pump for the taps. This almost certainly means you have an inboard diaphragm water pump e. Unfortunately these are inherently noisy compared to an external submersible pump. If this is the case then rewmounting the pump into a rubber pad to insulate the pumps vibrations from teh body of the caravan might help.

I do know of one person who changed the internal pump for an external one that drops in the water container, but they also had to purchase the side wall fitting and a pressure switch to make it all work.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello Phil.

Can I reverse your two questions.

I deduce you must have a hot water circulating system, most likely an Alde space heater system. I am not familiar enough with this make of product to offer specific advice. The heating system may need a service - when was it last given one? apart from that I'd agree with the other replies and it might be wise to make sure the system is bled and properly topped up. You should have the instructions in the heaters instruction book. I don't know whether you can increase the circulating waters temperature, but apart from those points without increasing the size of the radiator in the bathroom I cannot see another way round it.

As this was your first question and the title of the thread is S2 Barcelona Noisy Water Pump, I presume you are referring to the cold water pump for the taps. This almost certainly means you have an inboard diaphragm water pump e. Unfortunately these are inherently noisy compared to an external submersible pump. If this is the case then rewmounting the pump into a rubber pad to insulate the pumps vibrations from teh body of the caravan might help.

I do know of one person who changed the internal pump for an external one that drops in the water container, but they also had to purchase the side wall fitting and a pressure switch to make it all work.

Just to add that I am not aware that the ALDE system would require a service so maybe it is not necessary however a good idea to change the fluid from the 2 year to the 5 year.
This link takes you to the ALDE system and you may be able to expand your knowledge if you download the manual for the 3020 system. See https://www.alde.co.uk/manuals-and-documents/ Hope it helps.
Past experience regarding noise is pump on 5 instead fo 2 and air in the system which is why bleeding is probably the firts step. We had this issue on our 2011 Lunar Delta.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Would it not be sensible to establish which pump the OP is referring to before assuming it is anything to do with the Alde system? or is it the on board water pump??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to add that I am not aware that the ALDE system would require a service so maybe it is not necessary however a good idea to change the fluid from the 2 year to the 5 year.
This link takes you to the ALDE system and you may be able to expand your knowledge if you download the manual for the 3020 system. See https://www.alde.co.uk/manuals-and-documents/ Hope it helps.
Past experience regarding noise is pump on 5 instead fo 2 and air in the system which is why bleeding is probably the firts step. We had this issue on our 2011 Lunar Delta.

All gas appliances over time may need a service. The manufacturer will normally suggest an appropriate schedule, to ensure their combustion tract and gas supply and gas air mixing systems are clean and working correctly, and especially those that are only used intermittently or stand inactive for weeks on end. Because of the conditions that most caravans are kept in, many appliances will deteriorate whilst being unused almost as quickly as wearing out from use.

Changing the fluid is a service activity!

Thank you for pointing out the documentation. However since I have retired from this area of work I have no intention cluttering up my PC with this documentation, especially as the OP has not specified a particular model which might well be different to the one you have suggested.

Like Damian I am not sure the OP's pump question relates to the heating system. Based on the title of the thread, it seems more likely he is referring to the cold water supply pump.

It would be more helpful if the OP could enlighten us please.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hands up, my fault, I was the first to make the assumption. 😡. But in my defence, OP made the link with the radiator problem.

So far as I know ALL of the Unicorn range have an Alde 3020 boiler fitted with an on board pump. We don’t know the year except its an S2, and that range does have updates. Easy to find here.

John

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All gas appliances over time may need a service. The manufacturer will normally suggest an appropriate schedule, to ensure their combustion tract and gas supply and gas air mixing systems are clean and working correctly, and especially those that are only used intermittently or stand inactive for weeks on end. Because of the conditions that most caravans are kept in, many appliances will deteriorate whilst being unused almost as quickly as wearing out from use.

Changing the fluid is a service activity!

Thank you for pointing out the documentation. However since I have retired from this area of work I have no intention cluttering up my PC with this documentation, especially as the OP has not specified a particular model which might well be different to the one you have suggested.

Like Damian I am not sure the OP's pump question relates to the heating system. Based on the title of the thread, it seems more likely he is referring to the cold water supply pump.

It would be more helpful if the OP could enlighten us please.
You are correct that over time gas appliances need servicing however the gas service is not part of the normal service and is an extra. I would think that most people use the ALDE system on EHU so the actual ALDE system would not require servicing. There is no need to change the fluid for 5 years.
There is not much of a difference between the 3010 and 3020 except for the control panel as basically I think the rest of the system is the same.
OP refers to noisy pump and then insufficient heat in bathroom radiator so one makes the assumption that the OP is referring to the ALDE pump, but until they come back and clarify as usual we are left to guess the resolution to the issue.

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts