Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
We got the news yesterday that Henry Surtees (18) died after a freak racing accident at Brands Hatch.

A wheel detached from another F2 car that had crashed and bounced and hit Henry's head.

Henry's father is 75 year old John Surtees and the only Motocyle GP and F1 GP car world champion.

Many older members here will surely remember John's racing days and his race team famous for its sponsors name. Very many caravanners spend weekends at circuits following motor racing. John was one of my husband and brother inlaws heroes and inspirations.

Henry drove for our friends race team before moving to F2, it's just so sad that John and Jane Surtees have lost their son who was such a charming polite and delightful young man with so much to offer.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Really sad news and John was one of my all time heros.

I only heard the item on the news this morning and went on Google to read the full story. There was a 'You Tube' video from a German TV company showing the bizarre and unlucky accident. A wheel from a crashed car that Henry was following bounced and struck him on the head. I called my wife to see the video, as we used to go to Brands Hatch a lot in our younger days, but couldn't get it. I assumed that it had been removed as inappropriate and a sign of respect but notice it was back again a few minutes ago.

Bill

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
More tragedy. I well remember John Surtees racing against Jackie Stewart and Jack Brabham in the 3 litre FIs

Never realised he had a son later in life.

No dad should ever have to bury his child.

Cheers

Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sad news indeed.

We've come to think of motor racing as a much less dangerous sport these days with improvements to track and car safety and this young man's death is a tragic reminder that nothing can be 100% safe.

May I offer my deepest sympathy to Henry's family and friends.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
John Surtees lives and runs his property business in Edenbridge Kent.

For many years numerous Edenbrige businesses rent and have rented properties from Surtees including Suzuki Racing and other race teams. I'm sure this sad accident will also touch the whole of the Edenbridge community.

It seems that we live and die on Video in the Video Age. The Youtube video shows the freak nature of the accident and brings home the reality of the fragility of life and the fact that motor racing can still be very dangerous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts