Sap on car from Union Lido, Italy

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Got back last weekend from Italy. Covered 2,600 miles traveling through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Italy itself. I should really write down all of the events but you know how it is.

Problem: everybody else there seemed to have car covers. I thought it a bit over the top really and so didn't bother. Eventually I noticed why. There are a large number of tree sap deposits on the car. These don't just wash off. Has anybody else experienced this and will it come off eventually and will it have damaged the paintwork?

Thanks

Ian

G

I raised the same issue a month or so back so have a 'search' to see the responses I received. Basically I have tried T cut, white spirit, IPA, and a lot of polishing and although things are better, if I get out my reading glasses I can still see the speckles. Hot water may help in dissolving them but as mentioned by others the acid in the sap may have already marked the paintwork irrevocably. I too used a cover but then when the car got dirty decided to leave it off. Then got hit by the trees again. Thank goodness it is now classed as an old car, so I am upset, but not going to worry excessively.

If you do find an excellent remedy, that does not involve lots of work, please let me know. By the way, did you look at the caravan roof as well???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was advised by a Frenchman to use Turps when I had the sap from Pine trees over my caravan including the windows. I bought some from the local hardware shop in France and it worked a treat [Essence de Terebenthine].

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks SL

I have not looked at the caravan roof. I fugure if I don't look, it isn't there. Don't know if I can climb on the caravan roof to clean or not. Probably not.

Turps?, white spirit? Won't that damage the paintwork. The car is only just over a year old so I could do with a perfect finish. I suppose if t-cut doesn't work what else is there?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts