Sat Nav problems - your views

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
1 year ago I purchased a Navman iCN 635 being (what I thought) was a really sophisticated Sat Nav. Over the past year I have had many problems with the routing quality; which was made much WORSE when I started towing. Despite being setup to Always select motorways where possible, the unit has still tried to lead us down small B roads. In addition, this unit can take almost 20 MINUTES to lock-on to the satellites and I am left tense and frustrated driving with zero Sat Nav. Yesterday, for example, the unit (I was solo thank goodness!) told me to exit from the M25 where no such exit exists (it was a Works Access only).

Quite why I bought the Navman I don't know as I've been a Garmin fan for years. I am now considering selling the Navman (cost £650 twelve months ago) and buying a Garmin SP 2720. However, I do need something that I can 'programme' with the vehicle size / length so that routing down narrow B roads cannot happen again !!

Any fellow Sat Nav / GPS users out there want to comment pelase?

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought a TomTom Go700 this year and I think it is brilliant. When I first had it I had problems whereby it kept losing the satellite signal and then took ages to find it again. Then I discovered that my Picasso has a heat reflective windscreen which also blocks out most of the satellite signal. No problem, I bought an extension aerial and now I get a minimum of 8 satellites tracking me, rarely lose signal and I am 'logged' on within just a few seconds of switching on.

I would never start any journey without having a look at the map overview and if I suspected there were inappropriate roads I would ask the TomTom to avoid them, or use an atlas and programme the TT to take me via major roads only. I don't think these devices are intended to totally replace maps, but to supplement them and call out the directions without you having to stop and study the map.

On one occasion my TT told me to make a U-turn when it was neither possible nor necessary to do so. However I simply used common sense and carried on driving. Within a few seconds TT had recalculated the route and I carried on to my destination. If any of the Sat. Nav. systems tell you to turn into a non-existent road or an unsuitable road you don't have to obey. Just carry on driving and wait for the re-calculation.

I wouldn't be without mine.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have a Garmin Quest - it doesn't take long to locate the satellites and rarely loses them unless in a tunnel etc. Like you I have learned not to trust it towing. Ive tried to configure it to stop taking me down unclassified roads (some can hardly call some roads) because due to the slow pace you have to travel they dont save you time but haven't yet managed it. For all its little foibles I wouldn't be without it though because due to my hobby it finds most villages/hamlets I put in. It's best to use it with a map as back up. When I get near the caravan site I'm going to I always follow the Club directions too. After setting up on site we just put in Tescos, Asda etc and it takes us to the nearest one for shopping.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

If your GPS antenna is scanning from "cold", it can take 5 to 15 minutes to lock onto a good signal. This certainly applies to my (old) TomTom NMEA antenna which I bought 3 years ago and it could be the case that your Navman has one of the old technology GPS antennae (OK I know the slow start up and lock on is not due the antenna but the internal support chips).

The new antennae are able to lock on from a cold start about 5 times faster - so around 1 minute is good.

Also many of the newer GPS systems, like my wife's Garmin i3 and my business partners TomTom GO 700 have an integrated power supply that keeps the GPS antenna either "warm" for a fast start or simply remembers the position you were when you turned the unit off.

My TomTom Navigator (iPAQ 3970 PDA with TTN v5 software - now 3 years old) can take upto 10 minutes to lock on - but once on - it works perfectly.

Comparing the Garmin i3 to the TomTom GO 700 or my TomTom iPAQ:

1. I prefer the user interface of the TomTom, partly through familiarity and partly because it is better laid out.

2. The dedicated systems (i3 or GO) are much faster at routing, finding addresses, etc., than the PDA based systems - running Windows and the multi-tasking stuff going on in the PDA makes a difference.

3. The "prefer motorway" option seems to be OK for a caravan on the above systems, but I'm looking forward to an HGV option.

I'm thinking of buying a replacement for my TomTom PDA - the antenna connector sometimes needs a waggle for a good connection - and consdering either the Garmin 2720 (or a deal on a 2620) or the TomTom GO 700

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi john we have had a tom tom go 300 which we find very good most of the time no problems locking on to sattalite sometimes takes a few minuets,but i don't rely on soley i still check with a map before going on a long trip. regards peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the Mercedes SatNav and I just can't get used to it. for instance when you buy something to guide you in foreign parts, you usually learn from keying in local journeys to get confidence etc.

There is a notorious bank near Thirsk. it is called Sutton Bank and cars towing caravans are prohibited from using it. I keyed in the directions to Hemsley via Thirsk and sure enough i was directed (you've guessed it) to Helmsley using the Sutton Bank.

Before SatNav. I used Michelen Maps for the continent inc. the UK. and recently take my Laptop and use Microsoft Autoroute as a daily crosscheck. Also I always use CC Directions when I get near to the site. Incidentally one of the othe Caravan websites allows you to download a mapping of all the CC & CL locations.

What a wonderfull world until you get lost. once upon a time the wife got the blame now the microchip gets verbally abused.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I have the Mercedes SatNav and I just can't get used to it. for instance when you buy something to guide you in foreign parts, you usually learn from keying in local journeys to get confidence etc.

There is a notorious bank near Thirsk. it is called Sutton Bank and cars towing caravans are prohibited from using it. I keyed in the directions to Hemsley via Thirsk and sure enough i was directed (you've guessed it) to Helmsley using the Sutton Bank.

Before SatNav. I used Michelen Maps for the continent inc. the UK. and recently take my Laptop and use Microsoft Autoroute as a daily crosscheck. Also I always use CC Directions when I get near to the site. Incidentally one of the othe Caravan websites allows you to download a mapping of all the CC & CL locations.

What a wonderfull world until you get lost. once upon a time the wife got the blame now the microchip gets verbally abused.
Any Possibility of sharing this site ??

Put you to the top of my Christmas card list !!

Regards MH

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't see the point of caravanners buying a device which often gives dangerous advice. You don't need sat-nav for long motorway journeys and it's not suitable for cross-country towing!

I just buy a new road map each year from WH Smith, costs about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't have the satalite problem as my system uses dvd and gps, but what I would say is you ideally want to plan the route in advance entering waypoints as you go, in much the same way you might write out your directions, the big difference being you can then sit back and concentrate on the road in front not looking at signs etc.

If solo they are absolutly brilliant, mine even directs you around hold ups telling you that the queue is x miles long do you want to reroute?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't see the point of caravanners buying a device which often gives dangerous advice. You don't need sat-nav for long motorway journeys and it's not suitable for cross-country towing!

I just buy a new road map each year from WH Smith, costs about

G

Roger, I think you will find that a Sat Nav doesn't give dangerous information often. In fact 99% of the time it is spot on. It excels at cross-country driving where it can give warning of a turning well ahead well before your own line of sight. It has a great safety aspect too, as your not fumbling with maps while driving, and helps too speed up the journey because you're not constantly wondering where you're going. Add to that the advantage of programming speed cameras and being warned of their proximity and it's money well spent. Most of the errors with routes can be put down to user programming, which becomes less as the user gets acquainted. I was like you Roger a couple of years ago, just needed a map to get where I wanted to go, and was damn good at it too. Why would I need Sat Nav? However it's just like air con and electric windows for the car, you don't need them, but once your used to them, you rely on them. If you haven't tried Sat Nav out yet, give it a go, especially if you travel to places you have never been before.
I assume you are not worrying about speed cameras when towing, or are you??

I am sorry I tend to agree with Roger, being old fashioned. I would also suggest the majority of towing will be on major roads and a bit of planning will allow you to know what is the best route. Every time you look at a 'whizzy' screen you are taking your eyes of the road. I also believe (and I am willing to be corrected) that the voice of these things is usually an autocratic young lady who insists 'you must turn next left'... into the river. Or at least that is what Jeremy Clarkson said, and it must be true then??

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Paul; that's exactly the way I used to do it; get a map; calculate the lat and long coordinates; then enter the way-points one by one into the GPS and then make a route of the waypoints. Hey presto I was following my own route; and that's actuallt the way I rather like it. Sat Nav is diferent as you really cannot do that. In fact I noticed that I cannot save a route in my Navman; I can only save favourites. Personally I prefer a sophisticated GPS as opposed to a Sat Nav system because at least with a GPS I stand a chance of knowing the route BEFORE we actually set off and drive it....!!!!

Makes me really quite cmmitted to flogging the Navman (what I'll get I dread to think) and buying the Street Pilot 2720 which has all the lovely features I like eg being able to link it to the Ozi Explorer software - but that's another thread !!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Lol suggests that I try sat-nav before criticising.

I have checked out demonstrators. I used a route check between CC sites at Morvich and Kinlochewe. All the demonstators I've tried routed along the private road through the Coulin Estate, which has a 6' wide bridge without parapets! I gather that the map databases on which sat-navs work is not sufficiently detailed to avoid narrow or steep routes. When this level of detail is available, and used, I'll look at sat-navs again.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As people have put in previous posts they dont buy satnavs just for towing. I bought mine for when I'm in unfamiliar towns and it hasn't failed me yet in finding my destination. I use it to find streets, shops and houses and it takes me straight there and returns me to my starting point. Two years ago I never had a caravan and couldnt see the need for one, now I wouldnt be without one, the same goes for the satnav. As long as people treat them sensibly theres no problem. With some people I think its the fear factor of new technology why they knock them. At least I dont but A-Z's no more :O)

G

Just do not use one in Edinburgh. The local council in its infinite wisdom has just spent

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger, let me first say, I didn't mention anything about criticism, you have your views, about Sat Nav, all I was trying to do was show you that this little device has a place in the caravan world. So let me ask you a question,

Does your map show the 6' wide bridge without parapets?

Don't bother answering that, I shall do it for you, but feel free to comment.

Answer 1. Yes it does show the bridge and it's width.

You must have very detailed maps Roger. My road map shows every little path and rutted track, but does not mention any width or height restrictions.

Even so, if your maps show this bridge, then great, just go over your map first to see if there are any parts of the route that might be difficult, you can still use your Sat Nav because they have a function to avoid certain parts of the planned routes, a matter of three or four buttons and your set.

Answer 2. No the map does not show the bridge. So you would encounter the problem with the bridge, even with your map.

The same can be said for narrow and steep routes, if you have some way of identifying them on a map, it is easy to translate that into a Sat Nav, and still enjoy it's benefits. Like I said previously, the user can circumvent most of the problems associated with Sat Nav once he or she is familiar with the way it works.

Best regards

Lol

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
For me a GPS is an essential part of the car kit. Recently I needed to attend a CEN fuel standards meeting at Aral Research in Bochum, Germany.

I agree with the traditionalists that I don't need a GPS to find Dover from rural Bucks, but once I get beyond Venlo on the Dutch / German border I need to start looking at a map. Actually it's nice to use the GPS / mapping software beforehand so that you know Venlo is on the direct route to Bochum.

OK I could buy a German road atlas (which I do have in the boot as a backup) and pre-plan the route on little cards, but when I get near Bochum I'll need a street plan for the city - and where can I buy this detailed map? Certainly not in the UK. So I would need to drive into Bochum city centre and find a bookseller, or hope to randomly drive past a filling station and hopefully buy a local map?

Or before I leave the Euro-tunnel, enter the street address and house number into TomTom and receive spoken instructions for the whole journey - direct to the door?

Even better TomTom knows all the City one-way systems - so it routed me through these with accuracy, much better than you could guess from a local map.

Some have criticised GPS systems because they don't have inbuilt knowledge about very detailed local road features, well I add that personal information as a "roadblock" into TomTom and assist it to work with any special knowledge that I may have.

And finally you are still the driver, if you hear on the radio that the motorway ahead is blocked, or if you see new road signage, then it's great to have the GPS help you out with a new route a few seconds later.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I assume you are not worrying about speed cameras when towing, or are you??

I am sorry I tend to agree with Roger, being old fashioned. I would also suggest the majority of towing will be on major roads and a bit of planning will allow you to know what is the best route. Every time you look at a 'whizzy' screen you are taking your eyes of the road. I also believe (and I am willing to be corrected) that the voice of these things is usually an autocratic young lady who insists 'you must turn next left'... into the river. Or at least that is what Jeremy Clarkson said, and it must be true then??
Hi David, or should I be calling you Scotch Lad? Let me put your mind at rest concerning Sat Nav. On a modern day system such as the TomTom series, the screen is not "whizzy"; in fact it takes no more time to look at than it does your car instruments. It will zoom in automatically at a junction or roundabout and you can watch yourself in real time travelling round that corner/bend, it is that accurate. It can also give you your speed more accurately, and give you advance warning of severe bends. I use the speed camera database to alert me of accident black spots, because we all know that they are only positioned on these dangerous roads for our safety, not for the accumulation of wealth for the government/police. If the voice of the program is not quite to your likening, TomTom will let you download an alternative (for a price) that includes John Cleese. If you're that old-fashioned Mr Lad (which I don't believe for one second), how do you get onto the web site? Using one of those confounded, newfangled computers no doubt, if you can do that you can use a Sat Nav. They can save your money, your licence and your marriage; so two out of three isn't bad!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi all; well I have now bought the latest Garmin 2720 GPS / Sat Nat unit. The bigdifference between this and the NavMan is that it will alowo me to set up a complete rout on the PC and then export these as interim waypoints along a complete route.

I now have the Navman up on ebay which, considering my less than complimentary comments is unlikely to attract too many bidders from this forum !!! However, to be fair, if you DO want a ful colour SatNav with the whole of the UK and FRANCE (!) then this could possibly for you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5833528135&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:UK:1
Thanks for all your help (as usual)

John

PS Planning to go to Cotswolds this weekend; but have you seen the weather forecast :-(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My sat nav can help you identify steep routes as it has contour lines when it is in thr right scale. It has a route preview option that will take you through the route, but it doesn't give bridge height or width data, if you get somewhere you can't pass it will recalculate very quickly. If you miss a turn it doesn't cop a strop and it tells you about traffic hold ups in advance a routes you around them. But sat nav is not a total replacement I keep a map in the car in case of failure. Oh and if your feeling really adventerous it has an off road navigation capability over the whole of Europe.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John,

Where did you buy your 2720 from? The antenna plug / cable for my iPAQ 3970 has finally parted - I'll have a go at soldering the wires.

Robert

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
I have an ipaq with tom tom 3 and have to say I am a little concerned at using it for towing as it may lead me up the garden path, especially after using it in cornwall last year where it took me through some beautiful scenic routes none of which I would want to tow a van through.

I have an atlas and will just apply the rule that if I dont like the look of the road I wont turn into it and I will let the sat nav find another route.

The wife thinks its brilliant as when we were touring around cornwall last year she never got grumped at once for not finding the route quickly. Made the whole holiday more fun for her (I didnt shout about her map reading) and it made it really easy for me, we decided each morning where we wanted to go and added them to the favourites in the sat nav and off we went. Not only was the route planning excellent the timing it gave was almost spot on allowwing us to know where we would be at lunch or dinner time for example.

I would heartily recomend sat nav.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts