sat nav tip

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
When I am navigating to a new site I tend to look it up on Google Earth (free download). I enter the site's postcode then hunt around a bit looking for vans. The post code can be up to a mile out. Once I have found the site I put the mouse at the entrance and make a note of the latitude and longtitude that are shown in the bottom left of the window. I put this into my sat nav instead of the postcode and as you would expect it directs you to the entrance with no inacuracy.

Appologies if this is common knowledge but its something I always do after getting lost once navigating by postcode alone.

Mike Mc

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Spot on Mike , good advice / reminder.

I tend to check out google earth as well when I'm going somewhere as I've had a couple of magical mystery tours before now.

something to also be aware of is alot of times the given post code can be a PO Box post code and these are assigned to the local or nearest post office which can be several miles away.

My comapny has a PO Box address and post code and its caused untold problems when people end up no where near the building.

We've had to get a building post code issued now as well which we give to visitors.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
In France the postcode area can be huge - and lead to sites being pinpointed on maps in completely the wrong location. There's on site I know where the postcode, and the place shown on Google maps, would direct you into the middle of a French Army tank training range!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Is the French army tank training range where French tank drivers sharpen up their reversing skills Val? ;0)

Like Mike Mc I always look on Google earth and check out the immediate surroundings of a site to see if it too close to railways or main roads or industrial areas.

I print off the directions for the approach to the site and then Herself can cross check with her cyber counterpart on the sat nav as we approach.

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Mike,

Rather than tap in langitude etc. I compare sat nav with the google map put the arrow on the spot and store location. It also gives the opportunity to check if either sat nav or google is most up to date. Thats what I do with a garmin but they're not all the same.

May 11, 2008
Visit site
There is a very good website called www.archiescampings.eu with downloads of all European campsites for all types of sat navs. (There's a link to it on the CC website too.) We have found it extremely accurate, although I still like to look on Google Earth to see the campsite itself. There is even a clever tool on the Archies website which shows all the campsites on Google Earth - quite amazing that anyone should have gone to so much trouble, but it's saved us no end of bother navigating to the campsites. Can fully recommend.

May 11, 2008
Visit site
There is a very good website called www.archiescampings.eu with downloads of all European campsites for all types of sat navs. (There's a link to it on the CC website too.) We have found it extremely accurate, although I still like to look on Google Earth to see the campsite itself. There is even a clever tool on the Archies website which shows all the campsites on Google Earth - quite amazing that anyone should have gone to so much trouble, but it's saved us no end of bother navigating to the campsites. Can fully recommend.
Sorry - by CC I mean Camping Cheques not Caravan Club!

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Sorry but this certainly does not have all caravan sites. I tried it for a few I have used and only two were listed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts