Sat Nav when towing a caravan

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chris

We were down in Cornwall last year, on our way back i followed the sat nav, bad move!!

Took us all through narrow lanes, it was a tense few miles before we picked up the A38.

Its for reasons like this that i'd say go for one that's designed for lorry drivers that will allow you to set it to 'A' roads only to take you as close to your site as possible before the twisty stuff. You can then change the setting when driving solo.

Having said that there's no replacement for planning, look at maps and Google earth to plan your final route, it all pays off when faced with a junction that looks different to you imagine it would!

I'm even sad enough to google earth petrol stations to see where the LPG pump is!

Gareth

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Sending this from the depths of France where we've been for two weeks with another two to go. Would not have contemplated it without our TomTom 700 (I think now superseded by TomTom 710 but unsure), or indeed our last two holidays abroad. Always use 'limited speed' setting when towing. NEVER use 'shortest' route - it tried to take us through a service station on the M27 because it was shorter than the motorway - yes, really! Always use camping cheques, and this year have downloaded campsites to it from www.archiescampings.eu/eng1 which enabled us to navigate straight to our campsites, though I did check the final stretch to make sure it was caravan-friendly. See other postings on this subject, or the Camping Cheques website for further details on Archie. Don't hesitate to get a TomTom, though - it'll be one of the best things you ever bought.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
As well as never using the shortest route (always set to fastest route) another tip I came across was to set the sat nav to Lorry. This helps avoid narrow lanes and sticks to main routes. As with any sat nav, a fair degree of common sense is required at all times.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris,

I believe there are a few more recent sat Navs, that do provide better differentiation between vehicle types. Do a search on this web site as there was a unit mentioned that was designed for lorries, and had been shown to give good results.

However the majority of units sold on the high street still do not change the route but only change journey time depending on which vehicle type you select.

There is some improvement if you use the Fastest time option, as this tends to prefer motorways.

As others have said Sat Nav is not a total substitute for planning with conventional maps.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
"Commonsense"

Well yes, try reading Satnav instructions and visiting a satnav web site such as Pocket GPS World. All your questions can be answered by users there.

One question that arises quite quite often is lorry settings on satnavs, on normal units regular motorists buy the lorry setting does not steer you away from narrow roads or obstacles for HGV's! The lorry setting only alters the programming algorithm's used for positioning and average speed calculations related to ETA as they differ for the type of vehicle due to perfomance.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Have to beg to differ, Sadie. I use the "Lorry" setting on the Navigon 5 installed on my PDA with great success. I also have TomTom Navigator 5 installed on the PDA which doesn't allow any other settings so I use Navigon when towing. Haven't had any problems so far.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I've just purchased Garmin XT Mobile for my Smartphone. That has setting for various vehicle types , including lorries , walking , cycling and off road.

You can also set waypoints as well so it you want to go via a certain place , or equally avoid , you can adjust the route to your needs.

Works for me

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Sending this from the depths of France where we've been for two weeks with another two to go. Would not have contemplated it without our TomTom 700 (I think now superseded by TomTom 710 but unsure), or indeed our last two holidays abroad. Always use 'limited speed' setting when towing. NEVER use 'shortest' route - it tried to take us through a service station on the M27 because it was shorter than the motorway - yes, really! Always use camping cheques, and this year have downloaded campsites to it from www.archiescampings.eu/eng1 which enabled us to navigate straight to our campsites, though I did check the final stretch to make sure it was caravan-friendly. See other postings on this subject, or the Camping Cheques website for further details on Archie. Don't hesitate to get a TomTom, though - it'll be one of the best things you ever bought.
Thanks for your experiences and hope you keep on enjoying your holiday.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

I have used a few different Sat Nav's and can make the comment that if you want to be truly certain that a route is suitable, plan it in advance. Whenever I tow the van, I always work out the route in advance and program it into the satnav. That way there are no surprises on the route.

The current one I have is ALK Copilot live V7 for windows mobile GPS phone. This is by far the best I have used and also has an RV setting which so far has come up with reasonably caravan sensible routes. However, even with this I still plan the routes in advance, making use of waypoints to ensure the correct route is followed.

Cheers

David

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi David

Thanks for that - I will look it up. My husband really likes looking at maps so he would probably like your system too, seems like the best of both worlds.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi chrissylizzie

i have a sony satnav and as a hgv driver i have it set on lorry mode,the thing about satnavs is use common sence......if the road it is directing you down looks dodgy.....dont take it the satnav will redirect you (after it given up asking you to do a u turn which it asks me to do with a 44tonne hgv!!! never mind a car and caravan outfit lol) ive come a cropper many times using satnav and sometimes it takes me the shortest route which when ive arrived at the destination it wasnt!! and like its been said before on this post ive been directed down some very narrow roads.but on the whole i dont think i would be without it in my job because 9 times out of 10 it puts me right on the destination i want

hgv dave

Jun 15, 2008
Visit site
hi chrissylizzie

i have a sony satnav and as a hgv driver i have it set on lorry mode,the thing about satnavs is use common sence......if the road it is directing you down looks dodgy.....dont take it the satnav will redirect you (after it given up asking you to do a u turn which it asks me to do with a 44tonne hgv!!! never mind a car and caravan outfit lol) ive come a cropper many times using satnav and sometimes it takes me the shortest route which when ive arrived at the destination it wasnt!! and like its been said before on this post ive been directed down some very narrow roads.but on the whole i dont think i would be without it in my job because 9 times out of 10 it puts me right on the destination i want

hgv dave
HGV Dave, may I ask, Sonysatnav? which model??

Jun 30, 2005
Visit site
I also had a Sony Sat Nav until 2 weeks ago. I had the U92TW - wide screen with Europe and traffic. It was OK but then the power lead packed up, the holder came off the dash and would stick again and the unit kept having windows errors. it used to take up to 30 mins to hook onto the satellite.

Took it back and changed for a TomTom One XL Europe with Traffic and it is streets ahead of the Sony.

We always do a Viamichellin or Mappy with the Caravan setting on and then compare, and make minor adjustments if needed. Above all, always have the map open and dont trust what you see and hear on your GPS.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I also had a Sony Sat Nav until 2 weeks ago. I had the U92TW - wide screen with Europe and traffic. It was OK but then the power lead packed up, the holder came off the dash and would stick again and the unit kept having windows errors. it used to take up to 30 mins to hook onto the satellite.

Took it back and changed for a TomTom One XL Europe with Traffic and it is streets ahead of the Sony.

We always do a Viamichellin or Mappy with the Caravan setting on and then compare, and make minor adjustments if needed. Above all, always have the map open and dont trust what you see and hear on your GPS.
I use a TomTom 510 but as others have said, it pays to plan in advance where possible. I often have a look on google earth or similar and if I think that there are any tricky aspects to the route, e.g. a 5 van site off a country lane I switch to aerial view and have a look for obstructions, landmark buildings, gateway sizes etc. and I print the relevant parts that I need, along with written directions as back up to the say nav. The model that I have allows you to browse the route as a graphic or as text as well.

A bit different to the days when I drove a lorry doing multi drop parcel deliveries round various towns and cities of the UK, all that we had then was a road atlas and A - Z guides or as a last resort public phone boxes.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I had finger trouble and posted in 'comments'

I use a TomTom 510 but as others have said, it pays to plan in advance where possible. I often have a look on google earth or similar and if I think that there are any tricky aspects to the route, e.g. a 5 van site off a country lane I switch to aerial view and have a look for obstructions, landmark buildings, gateway sizes etc. and I print the relevant parts that I need, along with written directions as back up to the say nav. The model that I have allows you to browse the route as a graphic or as text as well.

A bit different to the days when I drove a lorry doing multi drop parcel deliveries round various towns and cities of the UK, all that we had then was a road atlas and A - Z guides or as a last resort public phone boxes.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Sorry I think Parsky finger are hitting my buttons too.

Just to say that he is spot on with google earth as I put my laptop on the dash and have an ariel veiw of junctions coming up if I'm not too sure ( actually incase any plods are on I let my imaginary passenger do it for me)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have TTG and always have it on if we need it whilst towing. However, I always do a print out from either AA or RAC and give Phil the road map. He's the navigator at all times - I don't do maps I'm afraid.

After driving round Cornwall solo with the sat nav, it sometimes tried to direct me down some of the smallest roads known to mankind. I just ignore it if I don't like the look of a road etc.

Lisa

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Parksy my first transport manager used to have a great saying

Well you've a tongue in your head
We used to get our delivery notes the night before and sit in the drivers restroom with the A -Z and sort the notes in order while putting the A - Z reference on the top corner. The lorry would then be loaded by the night deck staff in drop order.

Early the next morning we'd be off on a one or a two nighter

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
It;s great to be hearing all your different views. It generally seems that they are a back-up rather than a law in themselves, so the question is are they still worth having or is sticking to good old fashioned maps just as good?

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Sorry I think Parsky finger are hitting my buttons too.

Just to say that he is spot on with google earth as I put my laptop on the dash and have an ariel veiw of junctions coming up if I'm not too sure ( actually incase any plods are on I let my imaginary passenger do it for me)
Excuse my ignorance but did you say you have your laptop beside you when you are driving enabling you to check the route, plus how do you get a sugnal on the move?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It depends on a few things in MY case Chrissy:

1. I can't read maps

2. If I'm driving solo and on my own, I just programme the sat nav and off I go. When I used to work around the country from the North to the South West, I had to rely on AA or RAC print outs and that's really stressful.

However, when towing, I wouldn't dream of relying on the sat nav. As I do the towing and Phil is in the passenger seat, I rely on him and as you say, use the sat nav as a back up.

If you go out and about by yourself in the car, then in my opinion, it's priceless.

In reply to your original question, I think the general opinion is:

1. Tom Tom market leader

2. Followed by Garmin

That's only what I've heard from other people so can't comment for the accuracy of my post. I will say one thing though, I went away with my bro the other week and he's got Road Angel - I didn't reckon much to it at all.

And, by the way, you're talking to a woman who CAN get lost with sat nav..............

Lisa

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It largely depends on what you use the sat nav for Chris. I must admit that mine spends a lot of it's time in the glove compartment, unused.

With a computer and using map websites etc provided that you know your destination in advance you could download and print all of the information that you need to reach your chosen site.

Satnavs come into their own when using the point of interest features which can include supermarkets, banks, retaurants, entertainment venues and petrol etc. Without the caravan on they can help you to find your way around an unfamiliar area. I dont think that I'd want to spend mega bucks on one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts