Sat Nav

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I've ordered my next motorhome and take delivery in January 2016.
With my last motorhome, I had some 'issues' (not all of them good) with a sat nav system whilst travelling around Europe.
I know there are sat nav systems designed for motorhomes, and also sat nav systems designed to trucks which can be used for motorhomes. However, there are quite a lot on offer.
Does anybody have any preference/advice/review for a specific make and model ?

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have some notes Here that may be useful.

One brand I wouldn't buy is Snooper because they don't let customers add their own batches of POIs, only ones which they have for download.

Graham

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Graham
I'll avoid the Snooper. I've had a (car) TomTom and that's been OK. But I think that's more luck than judgement, except for one 'incident' during a massive storm, at night, in southern Germany.
Best,
Eric

Feb 18, 2004
Visit site
For a number of years I have driven through Europe using TomTom sat navs and in the main they have been fine. On my current device, a Start 60, I have added the Camper maps as a much cheaper alternative to buying a dedicated camper sat nav. The thing about sat navs is that they are creature of habit rather than being intelligent!! You do need to check it will be taking you where you want to go. My TomTom has a handy feature where by I can review the final bit of the route to my destination which is useful as this is often where things go wrong!!

David

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks David,
I was using a TomTom earlier this year on a trip through rural Germany. It did however, let me down one fateful night , in atrocious weather, by not letting me know about a very low bridge. Fortunately, it ended without any damage but it was a close shave.
Hence, the next sat nav will be aware, and warn me, about height restrictions etc.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
klyne said:
My TomTom has a handy feature where by I can review the final bit of the route to my destination which is useful as this is often where things go wrong!!

David
Very good point David. I always check route advice given by owners/organisers for final approach to sites/rallies.

Garmin have a program called Basecamp which can be downloaded to PC/Mac and used to plan routes so that potential problem areas can be avoided.

Graham

Kate Taylor

Administrator
Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi Inca,

Just to throw in a wild card... while uploading our new dashcam reviews , I discovered that there's a sat-nav that's also a dashcam! It's the Garmin nuviCam LMT-D, costing almost £300.

Best of both worlds?

5795991-garmin-nuvicam-lmt-d-1.jpg

We'd welcome everyone's thoughts on dashcams. Do you use one to film the best bits of your most scenic routes? Or as a kind of insurance against fraudulent claims from dodgy drivers?

Thanks in anticipation.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've not looked at combined devices, Kate, but always been unsure how they work legally.

A dashcam has to be in a position where it can "view" the road and a sat nav has to be able to be seen by the driver. Neither device, though, should be positioned so that it blocks the driver's view of the road. With separate devices both requirements are easy enough to meet but is that the case with the combined device?

Graham

Feb 18, 2004
Visit site
gjh said:
klyne said:
My TomTom has a handy feature where by I can review the final bit of the route to my destination which is useful as this is often where things go wrong!!

David
Very good point David. I always check route advice given by owners/organisers for final approach to sites/rallies.

Garmin have a program called Basecamp which can be downloaded to PC/Mac and used to plan routes so that potential problem areas can be avoided.

Graham

Graham
There used to be, what I imagine was similar, for TomTom. It was a little program called Tyre which could be used to plan intinaries with Google Earth. Unfortunately TomTom seem to have gone down the route of minimal input by owners so that feature is no longer available.

David

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
klyne said:
Graham
There used to be, what I imagine was similar, for TomTom. It was a little program called Tyre which could be used to plan intinaries with Google Earth. Unfortunately TomTom seem to have gone down the route of minimal input by owners so that feature is no longer available.

David
I'd forgotten that program David. I did use it years ago (with the first TomTom I had) but never really got on with it and don't remember it being offered when I bought a second TomTom after using a Garmin for a while.

It seems to be still there though - Tyretotravel - but independent of TomTom now and it apparently works with Garmin as well.

Graham

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a Garmin 760 ! Let's you set unit length, width, height, weight etc

Works just great ! Have also got the reversing camera to work with it !

£50 off through the Caravan Club if you are a member !

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
We always use TOM TOM. Just use your eyes for LOW bridges, there are always warnings before (Well should be!) We have to be aware of low obstacles as we are over 3 mtr.

May 10, 2015
Visit site
We too have a Garmin 760 sat nav, and we got this model as we have always in the past purchased Garmin's, so the 7650 seemed a logical choice and thus far has proved effective. It allows us to enter the motorhome's dimensions and has so far not set us up with a width restriction and I have tested it to try a narrow road and it has warned us.
In response to Kate Taylor's message, we also have a Transcend 220 dash cam fitted in case of close encounters. The 220 has lane deviation and close proximity warnings and so far is working out fine.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Further to previous posts re Nozatec sat navs. When many of us bought them the prices were rather higher than now . That suggested that the level was a result of cheap hardware so you were basically paying a small amount on top of the software/map cost.

Recent discussions elsewhere have identified that the software and maps on the Nozatec (and, most probably, other similar Chinese units) are pirated so they can no longer be recommended.

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts