Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Wait until the map databases gets more accurate.

There are increasing numbers of caravanners and HGV drivers blindly following satnav and getting stuck or trying to drive through private roads.

There are also increasing road safety concerns because of accidents caused by satnav distractions.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
I thought long and hard about sat nav - then decided that unless i was going to use it solo a fair bit - then there was no point - they don't allow for caravans.

Instead I went and got a really good map - a philips navigator (

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
TomTom, Margaret. It's one of the easiest to understand, you can buy the cheap and cheerful one or the expensive all singing and dancing version. They all have the same UK maps though, and these, despite what some may say are quite accurate. Just like maps though, they can be out of date where new building works take place.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I have two Sat Navs, Good buy for UK is Garmin I3 and it will take you all around the UK with little if any probs. Has just been updated to Version8 and is on offer from to day at Halfords at

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
No they are not yet perfect but if you are towing set it up as an HGV that will give you a better routing guide, But by fare the best is if you are driving in the dark or foggy conditions then it leaves you to concentrate on the road knowing you are where the system says you are. that is worth its wieght in gold

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi Margaret, I use a garmin streetpilot 111 although now 3 years old I have kept the updates on the mapping, as Cris said v8 now. If it is just for uk go for the Garmin i3 it a great little machine, but it will only ever do the uk. New ones sell on ebay cheap!

Kevin H

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Just a note as Kev's Info is a little outdated.

Garmin I3 can be loaded with map source for continental maps

and micro SD cards will be available soon with euro and other maps. Not cheap though!

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Margaret, we have a tom tom one, i think its great!

Just use common sense when planning routes to cc sites, manually put in the final few miles, you can't go wrong!

hope this helps, Andrew.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I had a Garmin street pilot 3 given to me for christmas.

It is very good for UK driving as yet I've not tried europe, but when I showed it to a Norwiegen collegue at work, he keyed in his post code (as we know it) and it did direct him quite accurately to his small town in Norway.

It is quite small and compact but then I feel that is a benifit as you should not be watching screens while driving anyway. The voice commands are timely and quite clear.

As mentioned before the small compact size has allowed me to conseal it in a head up display area and away from the prying eyes of the "smash and grab" thieves.

Tom tom's, while they might be better are bigger and a dead give away as most people seem to have to put thenm smack bang in the middle of the windsceern. But I think it's more like the "hey look at my toy box" than a practical requirement.

Cost wise you can get two Garmin for the cost of a basic Tom Tom. So unless your completely directionally challenged or totally blind a Garmin street pilot is good enough.

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts