Sat Navs - Advice Please!

Dec 20, 2007
Visit site
I am looking to buy my first Sat Nav. I considered the Columbus factory fit unit when I ordered my new Octavia Scout but it was just too expensive (£1500!). A friend recently bought a TomTom Go 720 and says it is good. I am inclined to go with that, especially since the price has recently dropped below £200.

I know a lot of you on this forum have Sat Navs so a bit of advice on what to go for would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
I have had three Sat Navs so far and none are any good for towing caravans.

Navteq are at this moment working on one that is for commercial vehicle's in the UK. They have them in France and Germany. Which would be better for caravans, because as you must have heard they can take you down the wrong roads.

If you must have one now buy a cheap one to practice on untill the new one comes out.

Edd

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Robert,

I have a TomTom One. I have used it for the past 2 years. As Essexeddie says they can send you down roads that are not suitable for towing a caravan. However if you check the route using a map before you set of and adjust the satnav to the route you want to take, you shold be o.k. I was sent down a lane which was single track fortunatley nothing came the other way. The satnav was not wrong in what it told me as the site was on the same road if i took the next turning i would have joined the same lane further up which was suitable for towing.

Dont let it put you off. Finding sites is only the start of your holiday. satnavs have all the local attractions on them and finding them is a doddle when you are not towing.

Also on the satnavs are supermarkets, banks, petrol stations, hospitals etc.

They also help you get into the correct lane when driving on unfamiliar city centre roads as it warns you which way your next turn will be.

Happy New Year Steve

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I had pretty much the same query a few months ago, read the answers, did lots of research and ended up confused. Looked up various review sites and, it seemed to me, for every two favourable ones there seemed to be one damning for each and every make of sat.nav. SOoooo . . . Decided on the make and model that had all my requirements - door to door U.K. and Europe but no bluetooth/M.P.3/coffee maker etc - then watched the price drop till yesterday and pounced. ( With my track record I expect the price to drop a further

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robert,

As Eddie has pointed out, the current range of Sat-Navs, do not differentiate adequately between cars and lorries. Some models offer the user the choice of type of vehicle (Mine offers pedestrian, cyclist, car, and lorry) but all this does is apply different speed profiles when calculating journey time along the same route. This is why you do hear of some difficulties with large vehicles being sent down unsuitable roads.

A number of local councils are pressing the manufactures to improve the mapping information to help reduce this problem, sadly that is some way off in the future, and until then we will still be open to this short coming with the current systems - and of course it would need all the existing systems to be reprogrammed.

But all is not lost. Most Sat-Nav's allows the user to select between fastest and shortest routes. The fastest will tend to use the major roads, avoiding most of the small rural lanes, so when towing I use that setting, and so far I have only had 1 problem and I avoided that when I got there because the road was clearly signed unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles. I simply stayed on the main road a little longer and it safely re-routed me. Don't forget, before we had Sat-Navs none of the normal map books identified unsuitable roads, they were either to small to be included, or good signs at the entrance or driver sense was sufficient to avoid these difficulties.

If you want to reduce these issues, most systems will produce a route listing, and allow you to inspect the instructions before you start your journey. With this and a decent map, you should be able to predict where the Sat-Nav may begin to take you away from the main routes. Armed with this information you can add 'waypoints or Via stops, at strategic places around the difficult area and this will force the Sat-Nav to navigate around them.

I personally find that the road signs and a glance at a road map normally cater for the long distance runs between towns and cities. Sat-Nav comes into its own when having to negotiate unfamiliar routes in cities or towns, when you need to keep your eyes on the road, rather than chancing a look at map or route notes.

On the longer less demanding parts of the journey, it can help you to know where you are, which in the event of breakdown can be useful, or some will give information about speed limits, and your current speed, and some will warn as you approach speed safety cameras.

The other feature that most have is the ability to locate certain useful facilities, such a fuel stops, cash points and supermarkets. These are unusually called POI's (Points Of Interest).

Provided you understand the limitations of the units, then you can usually cope with the foibles of the current systems.

Don't forget that towing only represents a small proportion of our time behind the wheel, so the Sat-Nav really can shine for non-towing adventures, - try using the shortest route options around your nearest large town or city, it can be quite interesting and rewarding.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
that is the best advice on satnavs i have read for a long time.We have the Navman from caravan club offer and it has always (so far) picked routes we would have used but you also need to use common sense as well if you dont like the look of a road dont go down it there is usually another one offered soon after

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Tomtom GO 520.

Awesome. I use it every single day, and I can't speak highly enough about it.

I really wouldn't be without it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just as a quick addition. The problem with Factory Fitted units, is that they (generally) aren't transferrable from one vehicle to another.

With a portable unit, you can put it into any vehicle that you are driving. Useful if you hire a car on holiday, your car is being serviced, or as, in a business situation, when you might be driving different vehicles each week.

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi All.Had my sat/nav for a number of years now and although it is a bit dated now still works fine.We bought it from Aldi & is a Medion.We have towed & know many that have with them,so to avoid being sent down narrow and country lanes go into your sat/navs settings and set it to truck/lorry mode.The sat/nav will then only choose the lesser roads as a last resort.Kev.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All.Had my sat/nav for a number of years now and although it is a bit dated now still works fine.We bought it from Aldi & is a Medion.We have towed & know many that have with them,so to avoid being sent down narrow and country lanes go into your sat/navs settings and set it to truck/lorry mode.The sat/nav will then only choose the lesser roads as a last resort.Kev.
Sorry Kev,

Please read my posting above. In all the units I am aware of (and I admit I don't know them all) all the vehicle selection feature does is adjust journey times. It does not affect the route between start and finish

I too have an Aldi Medion unit.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi all

What John L says is perfectly correct.

I.ve used M/soft Autoroute and crossed it with AA map books for years but just before Christmas I managed a great deal on a Navman N20 from Staples.

I've now used it with and without the caravan.

I have found though that if you do use 'way points' or interim desitnations be very careful. If the sat nav doesn't actually 'see' the way point/destination when you get there it'll re-route you until it sees these points.

What I've resorted to doing is to set the route on the Navman and page through it checking for any iffy roads (non A roads). With the AA road map I check the overview of the route and finally use Google earth or Microsoft live maps to actually check any of the iffy roads and the site access, believe me if you.ve taken a B road that turns out to be a lane with passing places and met a Ferrari coming the other way you'll more then appreciate these online satellite mapping systems.

It may seem a bit over the top but when you're sure of the route you can then concentrate on your driving and let the sat nav guide you in.

No sitting with maps and route notes and no debates over where you took a wrong turn.

Then when you're on site the sat navs absolutely brilliant for guiding you through unknown territory, either on foot or in the car......magic.

best regards and happy new year Tomo

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi all

What John L says is perfectly correct.

I.ve used M/soft Autoroute and crossed it with AA map books for years but just before Christmas I managed a great deal on a Navman N20 from Staples.

I've now used it with and without the caravan.

I have found though that if you do use 'way points' or interim desitnations be very careful. If the sat nav doesn't actually 'see' the way point/destination when you get there it'll re-route you until it sees these points.

What I've resorted to doing is to set the route on the Navman and page through it checking for any iffy roads (non A roads). With the AA road map I check the overview of the route and finally use Google earth or Microsoft live maps to actually check any of the iffy roads and the site access, believe me if you.ve taken a B road that turns out to be a lane with passing places and met a Ferrari coming the other way you'll more then appreciate these online satellite mapping systems.

It may seem a bit over the top but when you're sure of the route you can then concentrate on your driving and let the sat nav guide you in.

No sitting with maps and route notes and no debates over where you took a wrong turn.

Then when you're on site the sat navs absolutely brilliant for guiding you through unknown territory, either on foot or in the car......magic.

best regards and happy new year Tomo
Hi,

I got a Garmin Nuvi 200 from Halfords last year - I think it's fantastic.

It's a really basic model - I didn't need the bells'n'whistles of MP3 players etc, but it's really light and pocketable - which is really handy if you want to take it out of your car so it doesn't get nicked if you're going anywhere!

I am led to believe that the Garmin systems work on Ordnance Survey mapping, and you can put in map co-ordinates to search for locations, too, if you want to do a bit of geo-caching or walking on your travels. Not tested that yet though.

Hope that helps

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Sorry - reposting just in case:

07:09 PM Hi,

I got a Garmin Nuvi 200 from Halfords last year - I think it's fantastic.

It's a really basic model - I didn't need the bells'n'whistles of MP3 players etc, but it's really light and pocketable - which is really handy if you want to take it out of your car so it doesn't get nicked if you're going anywhere!

I am led to believe that the Garmin systems work on Ordnance Survey mapping, and you can put in map co-ordinates to search for locations, too, if you want to do a bit of geo-caching or walking on your travels. Not tested that yet though.

Hope that helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts