Satellite dishes

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone have a motorised Satellite dish on their caravan ?

I'm interested in having this done as last year some kind caravanner drove over my collapsed [ ie folded] dish which was placed beside my van.

It was so close to the van that I think if he hadn't got the dish he might well have got the caravan :( The Site was virtually empty so I'm really surprised he got us - however we have to have a new dish .

Oh the dish had great big fluorescent stripes of yellow and orange on it [ when folded] so it was very very visible !!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I haven't got a motorised one but I've looked into it and came to the conclusion that there doesn't seem to be any point in having the dish motorised if it isn't self-seeking, too. However, with prices starting at about ₤1000 for self-seeking satellite systems, it was just a bit too much.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Angela,

the first thing I did on purchasing my new LMC was to drive from S/Wales where I collected it to Leeds to have a self seek oyster dish fitted, It wasn`t cheap I think about

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The roofs of many caravans are simply not designed for aftermarket fitments of this kind and may not take the weight.

Given the excessive number of caravans with water ingress, many caravanners wouldn't increase the risk by cutting another hole in the roof.

The cost has a lot to do with it.

If you would like one, Angela, then go for it.

Amusingly, I saw a motorhome with an automatic self-seeking dish on site last year. Even several thousand pounds of equipment didn't tell the owner that trees were blocking the line of view, the dish just kept rotating, for hours, like a lighthouse with a blown bulb! That's the real advantage of a tripod, you can move it to a different part of your pitch to get the signal.

I suggest that your issue is really with another inconsiderate visitor driving through your pitch - you're right to be very angry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know what you mean Roger

When we were in Holland last year a French motor caravan club arrived and parked in the parallel pitches along a road.

They were soon to be seen with Oysters twirling going from side to side of the pitch to get sight of the satellite through the trees .

I prefer to have mine on an aluminium pole in the jockey wheel clamp

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
Agreed about roof strength - and surely it's time UK manufacturers woke up to this.

We are looking very hard at an Abbey - it can take Air con but hasn't be tested for a motorised Satellite system [ which is half the weight] so Abbey won't say yea or nay .

Grrrrh

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Angela, Bailey advertise their roof with several people standing on it but when asked they say that the Oklahoma roof is not strong enough for a Heki roof light in place of the mini Heki and other posters have been told that its not strong enough for air con.

They really don't want to be bothered with anything non standard.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There is a big difference between the static load of people standing on the roof and towing a caravan with a roof mounted air conditioning unit at speed over Belgian pav

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts