Satellite Internet

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
At my house in France there is no decent broadband so I've got satellite internet. This gives a good download speed and is sufficient for me to watch UK TV (although I also have a SKY dish). The dish size is 80mm. I wonder if someone with a bit more technical knowledge than me could tell me if it would be possible to take a satellite internet package when caravanning? If so, how difficult is it to align the dish? I'll obviously need a different LMB. I usually take my dish in the caravan and align it ok so I'm familiar with the process followed.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Sproket. This is similar to what I've already got installed at my house but I'm looking for something portable like our current caravan system that I can set up when I arrive at a site. I'm aware that there are roof mounted automatic systems but these are many thousands of pounds - I'm looking for something much cheaper.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What satellite does your internet provider use? If it's Astra 2 at 28.2°E it may be a problem the further you get from the UK. On the other hand, Astra 3 at 23.5°E is better on the Continent, but its footprint over the UK is poor.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz, I don't know which satelitte they use. The company is Avonline (http://www.avonlinebroadband.co.uk/discover/discover-avonline/). I don't have a problem with internet or tv in the UK or with tv in France. I still use Astra 2 for tv in France and have had no problems. My satellite internet is only in France and I just need to know if there is a portable set up that I can take in the caravan. A friend has houses in Spain, France and the UK and has fixed dish at each house. He just takes his "box" from house to house and has perfect internet, UK tv and phone calls at each house.

I'm assuming that Astra 3 doesn't carry any UK chanels.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......it now pays to have Filmon TV downloaded to your laptop/ tablet/ phone........provided the campsite has a good wifi internet connection you can now watch BritishTV on one of these.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul
is this any good to you?
http://www.nordnet.com/offres/internet-satellite/tarifs.php
portable wise do you mean the dish box etc?
I use an eliptic 66cm mobile dish tripod mounted. Does the job for us in uk. Nordnet allegedly do the same in France. Good lu k.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Dustydog, this looks exactly like I've got on my house in France but I'm trying to find out if anyone has any experience in taking one in the caravan and setting it up with a tripod mount (like we do with the tv dish). Are there satellite finding devices about which cater for internet use rather than tv?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Sproket - perfect, thanks very much.
Next question - if I was to watch internet tv for (say) 3 hours a day, what would be my download requirement?

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Probably a few years too late, but as the saying goes, better late than never.

Here is a portable setup for under £200 I made for my van conversion:
http://anton.belodedenko.me/mobile-satellite-internet/

Will work just as well on a caravan, truck or any other object you can bolt a 2" pole to.

-- ab1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts