May 22, 2008
Visit site
Does any one know, can we take our sky box from the house(we have a spare since upgrading to sky plus), along with our viewing card,and perhaps get a dish etc from a local supplier.

Would it work, and how difficult to set up?

thanks anthony.

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it will work....your card will also work if you choose to buy a second hand SKY box from e-Bay for example, although you wont be able to receive the premier channels ie Sky movies/sports....which is what we do.

As for setting it up its easy after the first few 'goes' but I would recommend a Satellite finder (again sold on e-Bay for a few quid). Try it all out at home first and then you have plenty time to become familiar with the set up.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Sky have had a change of heart on this matter, they will allow you to take your box and more importantly remove your card and take it away from your home, but within the uk only....

Almost any dish will do you and it is fairly easy to tune it to the Astra 2 sat.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian.

Having read your post i tried this with my spare box but, as before, i get the message saying it is the wrong card for the set top box when trying to view sky sports etc. Can you let me know where you got the info from regarding Sky's change of heart?

Many thanks.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I might be wrong but my understanding is that the card will only work with the box it is actually paired with (ie your usual home box). Our Sky + box works perfectly in the van and allows pause function, recording etc but, as the dish is a single LNB, I can't record one channel and record another. I might take our old box away with us this weekend and try the card in it to see what happens.

Cheers

G

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Charlie has stated it will work but you will only get premium channels in the matched box

What is strange but nice if like me you want to watch Eurosport and the Tour de France etc is that you can get Eurosport with the card in the wrong unmatched digibox

Eurosport was free on analogue but you need a subscription to get it on digital

We take our Sky+ box and I have installed twin LNB and extra coax feed in to allow recording---very necessary when you are prone to falling asleep before program end

Sky may have had a change of heart and may still ban taking the box/card etc abroad but thousands of caravanners do it every year (or so I am told !!!)

Mar 30, 2008
Visit site
We had sky+ plumbed in a few weeks back & the helpful engineer told me that the sky+ card is paired to the sky+ digibox that its in, as I was questioning him about it he said the best way is to buy a second dish & LMB off ebay & just unplug your box & take it with you, he even gave me about 10m os twin cable to make it easier. aslong as its not to often then sky wouldnt even know let alone care.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Having just installed our new viewing card from sky I can tell you it wont work in my oter sky box it just says it is the incorrect card for the box. We have the full sky package on the sky+ box and another we use for taking away with the free to air channels.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It seems that several of us are singing from the same hymnsheet and that the card only works in the paired box if you want to watch premium channels like sport or movies etc

You can use the box for ITV.BBCs etc without a card

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It seems that several of us are singing from the same hymnsheet and that the card only works in the paired box if you want to watch premium channels like sport or movies etc

You can use the box for ITV.BBCs etc without a card
http://www.tech-faq.com/free-to-air-satellite.shtml

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There are some anomalies with Sky that I and my caravanner neighbour have experienced.

I use my sky plus box and have now upgraded to a twin cable and 4 outlet LNB.

I gave my mate our old Sky box but it wouldn't work at all. I then purchased from sky a new free sat card for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I just found this

"If the card hasnt been used for a while just leave it in the box for a few days"

The box should be plugged in to the mains and they usually resume normal service

You should get BBCs and ITV and lots more without a card

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

That's where the confusion was. According to the lass at Sky my old Sky box wouldn't get anything without the

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts