Satnavs

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to treat myself to a new satnav this year.

Does anyone have working knowledge of one that takes into account the vehicle size. Especially regarding map updates?

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Reg,I do believe they have just brought one out that is specifically aimed at truck drivers and this should take into account every eventuality regarding sizes.The Caravan Club also has one they recommend for caravanning.I bet Sproket will have some info and if not he will find some!!!

Thursdays Child

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Reg, i seem to rember reading about some problems with these a while ago, i believe it was software related, so do find out if it has been sorted before you part with your cash...

Link to Snooper ventura reviews

Link to Snooperuk.com

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi thanks everyone and for the links Sprocket, it does seem like a pricey bit of kit. My other choice is a tomtom xxl which seems to have decent size legend on screen plus a good update set-up.

which my present medion suffers from both.

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
HI REG,i have a garmin 66ofm i find it brilliant,its got traffic update,and i can use it abroad,also loads of other things etc,we have a twin axle it hasnt sent the wrong way yet,we will try it in france see how it goes.well thats my view,it takes a lot of pressure off me when towing ALAN P/T

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
We use a ProNav PNN 200 - professional hgv drivers one that you can set up for caravans too, and it's half the price of the Snooper one. Website www.pronav.co.uk (sorry, don't know how to do clickable links!! lol).

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
It certainly looks more cost effective but they have made no commitment on map update costs and regularity.

As I said earlier I bought a Medion last time and the updates are practically non existant i.e they are only up till early 09 and cost about

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Reg I have not used any of the sat navs designed for HGV's or caravans,but I have read that they do not actually plan a route around possible dodgy roads/obstructions,but place a warning of an obstruction/road restricton,on the planned route in the form of a POI.You then have to plan a route round the obstruction,or ask the unit to reroute you if it would cause you a problem

I mention this as it may be another point to investigate before you buy

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Reg I have not used any of the sat navs designed for HGV's or caravans,but I have read that they do not actually plan a route around possible dodgy roads/obstructions,but place a warning of an obstruction/road restricton,on the planned route in the form of a POI.You then have to plan a route round the obstruction,or ask the unit to reroute you if it would cause you a problem

I mention this as it may be another point to investigate before you buy
garmin also do one ,its the Nuvi 465T

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Snooper make many different satnavs - which one has the issue?

I use one, but not for navigation - it's for speed camera locations and exact positioning when in doubt - since ALL satnavs require you to check route suitability independently I still pre-plan routes using conventional methods.

UK public highways all have width/length/height/weight restrictions posted in advance and primary route signing is designed to cope with the biggest vehicles, ie 44 tonne HGVs - just read the signposts!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the Snooper Ventura and have used it in the UK, France Spain and Portugal and have had no problems with it.

I have tried comparing routes with the caravan setting against the solo car setting and it definitely gave a more caravan suitable route when required.

My old sat nav was a Tomtom Go 700 and it was not as good as the Snooper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts