Sattelite connection

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi going away to France when world cup is on TV do not usually bother with TV but have never missed the world cup in fact am that old can remember 1966 jumping up and down on the sofa when we won,Have got a freesat dish etc my pal who lives up yhe road set it up and got it working in his garden (he has now gone abroad) I have tried at my place and have failed,whar am I doing wrong? connected it all up witha sat finder tv on AV got a picture and sound then lost it tyhis kept happening for over 2 hours sometimes just picture no sound but always back to NO SIGNAL.I thought that after setting it up the first time all the channels should be retained by the reciever and all I had to do was get the signal is this correct or do I need to retune as I am in a different location,Any advice would be appreciated as Wife now concerned that holiday will be cancelled if unable to watch England!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad or what

Cheers John

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
It sounds like you have either a bad connection or you are on the wrong satellite.......

Take a look at this link, you will find all you need to know on there...

satellite for caravans

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
John .Dont give up hope ,it would seem you may have got on to the wrong satellite

Im not ioo% sure with freesat as we use free to air The Maplin set but im pretty sure they work the same .

And yes once you have tuned the box in, providing you have the same satellite the programmes are pre tuned fromthe last time it was tuned in.

Sir Roger

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi John

We go to France every year and have found the best way of receiving english T.V is through a sky dish and receiver.We set it up first with a compass and then a sat finder,but there are two satelites very close and it is very easy to lock on to the wrong one.The best way of finding the right direction is stand under the dish at home

and the note the direction.We shall be in France for the world cup.

happy hunting

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
We recently bought a portable dish and satellite receiver for a similar reason - only to be able to see England get completely thrashed at the world cup.

I'm still practising finding the satellite and improving with each attempt.

My experience is that the receiver retains the channel list however each time I try to find the satellite I use a different method and am getting to the point of finding the best method.

For example the last time I tuned in I selected BBC1 from the channel list then moved the dish until I got a picture,other times I use Fresat tune and a satellite finder.

Hopefully I'll find the best method soon.

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all replies will keep on trying just for the record it is not freesat but free to air does this make a difference?Think it may be easier to book a ticket to South Africa than tune this thing in!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers John

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
If you have a look on the link that i put on for you ( satellite for caravans ) scroll down and click on the box at the right hand side ( generic free-to-air receiver )

there is more information about free-to-air set up....

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Keep trying John honestly it becomes easier to set up satellites in the south east set dish near enough upright signal strength up about 78% move slowly round one way or the other till quality comes up to about 50% where you will get a picture you can then fine tune

Sir Roger

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to you all for the info have chilled out today with thegrandaughter and now calm will try again in the next few days and hopefully will sort it.However if England are as poor (even though they won) as last night perhaps I am not missing much

Once again Thanks John

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Remember when trying to line up the dish that any movement must be VERY small. When my dish is on signal I can move it out of signal on both sides within the flexure of the mount.

If you have a compass, in the UK you need to point the dish at around 151deg magnetic. The further south you go the more easterly the sat will appear to be - central France is usually around 144deg.

You will also need to elevate (tilt upwards) the dish the further south you go, so if you swing from about SE round towards SSE and get no signal, lift the dish a smidgeon and sweep again. You will find it eventually.

The only difference between free-to-air, Freesat, and Freesat from Sky is the Electronic Program Guide or EPG, which FTA does not have. The signals all come from the same sats!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

We go to France every year and have found the best way of receiving english T.V is through a sky dish and receiver.We set it up first with a compass and then a sat finder,but there are two satelites very close and it is very easy to lock on to the wrong one.The best way of finding the right direction is stand under the dish at home

and the note the direction.We shall be in France for the world cup.

happy hunting
I do the same for Welsh TV !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts