Jun 28, 2018
8
0
0
Visit site
Saying Hi to all!!!

So we have taken the plunge, after being all to quickly separated from our beloved VW T6 Ocean last year due to a change in family circumstances we will collect our new Swift Basecamp Plus this Sunday!

I can't begin to tall you all how much my wife and i are both looking forward starting our all new adventures, we are an early 40s something couple who decided to decline from the role of parenthood and focus our love and lives on each other (and our border collie) we love the outdoors and the freedom a mobile holiday home offers!

With all the excitement all so comes a little apprehension as it's been around 15 years sense i last towed anything (a large green cherry picker all over the country) so when we pick it up we have decided to take it for a bit of a run and go to a local industrial park for a bit of practice (under the watchful eyes of the local security guards)

I am going to scour the forum for other Bascamp owners but it would be great to hear from any and all of you!!
 
May 7, 2012
8,598
1,816
30,935
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the Basecamp, we started out with a caravan a similar size and towing was never a problem. They do look a good buy and seem to be selling well.
Do make sure you get a good handover so you are familiar with everything on board though. If you do need help there will be plenty of help here so just ask.
 
Jun 28, 2018
8
0
0
Visit site
Raywood said:
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the Basecamp, we started out with a caravan a similar size and towing was never a problem. They do look a good buy and seem to be selling well.
Do make sure you get a good handover so you are familiar with everything on board though. If you do need help there will be plenty of help here so just ask.

Thanks Ray thats great advice, and very kind of you to say
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
Littlelack79 said:
Saying Hi to all!!!

So we have taken the plunge, after being all to quickly separated from our beloved VW T6 Ocean last year due to a change in family circumstances we will collect our new Swift Basecamp Plus this Sunday!

I can't begin to tall you all how much my wife and i are both looking forward starting our all new adventures, we are an early 40s something couple who decided to decline from the role of parenthood and focus our love and lives on each other (and our border collie) we love the outdoors and the freedom a mobile holiday home offers!

With all the excitement all so comes a little apprehension as it's been around 15 years sense i last towed anything (a large green cherry picker all over the country) so when we pick it up we have decided to take it for a bit of a run and go to a local industrial park for a bit of practice (under the watchful eyes of the local security guards)

I am going to scour the forum for other Bascamp owners but it would be great to hear from any and all of you!!

HI,
We seriously considered a BaseCamp about 2 years ago. Compared to our first caravan it was pure luxury. Ultimately I found it just a bit too small for me, being 6'3", also why we didn't go the VW camper route! It had everything we wanted, and didn't need a B+E to tow which I did not have at the time as post '97 licence.

I doubt that you will have any issues with towing it, It is fairly short, so should follow the line of the car quite well, longer caravans tend to cut the corners, so I have learned!! However, it is quite high, so may be affected by cross-winds/truck wake, something to me mindful of. Also a good set of towing mirrors are a must!
 

Parksy

Moderator
Nov 12, 2009
11,904
2,399
40,935
Visit site
Hi Littlejack, welcome to the forum and congratulations on buying your Basecamp.
If there's anything that you're not sure about just ask, somebody will have the answer for you :)
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,740
3,045
40,935
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, towing should be no problem but being quite short practice the reversing. Long caravans are easy short ones are not. :p
 
Jun 28, 2018
8
0
0
Visit site
Good morning all

Many thanks for the kind words and advice offered we are now just over 28hrs away from picking up the new basecamp

We have a lot of kit left over from when we sold our T6 (plates, cadac BBQ, cups, wheel clamp kitchen utensils), but one question we have and it maybe best for me to search the forum. However will ask anyway as first timer caravan owners is their anything accessory wise in particular that is a must when owening a van?

In the deal we got a starting pack which I understand includes the clean and dirty water tanks, weather pump, an Al-Ko triple pack, mains power lead, a basic step, towing mirrors, battery, gas bottle and I think that’s it

But not really sure on the other essential parts we may want to pick up?

As we live on the door step to white arches we purchased through them, and we have negotiated some additional discount from the store ;)

Any additional advice would be great
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,807
216
19,935
Visit site
Brake cleaner https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Brake+Cleaner/p17879 to keep your tow-ball very clean and to avoid contamination on the friction pads of the alko hitch.

Basic tool kit, only take what is specific to your caravan, add to it as experience dictates.

Torch.

Torque wrench for making sure your wheel nuts will not fall off :p

This is a versatile and low cost solution, you will need a breaker bar of some type also to connect to it.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/040215238/
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,740
3,045
40,935
Visit site
I think maybe a Wine and beer carrier, we are a bit further south from you in Milton Keynes. Enjoy yourselfs.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
......I think maybe a Wine and beer carrier , Enjoy yourselves......

Bottle opener is an essential part off your kit ( although I have used the top of a fence post before to get the bottle top off ) , desperate & thirsty times !! ;) :p

Enjoy .
 
Jun 28, 2018
8
0
0
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I think maybe a Wine and beer carrier, we are a bit further south from you in Milton Keynes. Enjoy yourselfs.

Only just down the road :)

We where in the centre MK today doing one of the escape rooms with the family, highly recommend it
 
Jun 28, 2018
8
0
0
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
EH52ARH said:
......I think maybe a Wine and beer carrier , Enjoy yourselves......

Bottle opener is an essential part off your kit ( although I have used the top of a fence post before to get the bottle top off ) , desperate & thirsty times !! ;) :p

Enjoy .

Ha Ha thats good advice, of late i have switched to Bud Light (has a twist top) :woohoo:
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Littlelack79 said:
EH52ARH said:
I think maybe a Wine and beer carrier, we are a bit further south from you in Milton Keynes. Enjoy yourselfs.

Only just down the road :)

We where in the centre MK today doing one of the escape rooms with the family, highly recommend it

Did you's get out yet ?!?! :p :blink: :silly:
 
Jun 28, 2018
8
0
0
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Littlelack79 said:
EH52ARH said:
I think maybe a Wine and beer carrier, we are a bit further south from you in Milton Keynes. Enjoy yourselfs.

Only just down the road :)

We where in the centre MK today doing one of the escape rooms with the family, highly recommend it

Did you's get out yet ?!?! :p :blink: :silly:

Happy to say we did, and we did it with 8:51 spare ;)
 

TRENDING THREADS