Scarborough and whitby

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi any recommendations for family ( not british holiday etc) parks in the mentioned places.

It's our first time to these parts just need an on site shop and maybe a little park and not too far out from the main areas.

thanks in advance.

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Hello John

Sandfield House Farm, in Whitby, they do have a website, also you can look it up on www.ukcampsites.co.uk where you will find reviews for the site.

It is a short walk into Whitby or Sandsend, a lovely site with sea views.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Moderators Edit:

Unfortunately Mark's post was in direct breach of forum etiquette Rule 4 and no part of it was suitable to transmit here.

We can take it that in Mark's opinion there were too many rules which he alleges were handed to him on a sheet of A4 in reception.

Mark went on to say that in his opinion the attitude of some staff members was not to his liking

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Mark, I can`t believe we are talking about the same place, we were there last August for a week, all the staff were friendly and helpful, they lent me a gas spanner when ours broke etc.etc.I would certainly go back without hesitation.

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
We have stayed on a CL called Sunset Strip CL in Cayton Bay just 10mins out of Scarborough. Its a quiet and peaceful site with a little fishing pond in the centre of the site, the caravans are positioned around this pond. You can find it under Scarborough in the Caravan club book. Or if yr not a caravan club memeber there,s also a site called Cayton Bay holdiay Park another family site and nice as well. Not stayed on it but can see when passing it looks nice.

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Mark, are you sure we are talking about the same site, we have just returned from our second visit to Sandfield House Farm, on both occasions we did not have to pay up front, we have never been given a list of site rules, nor had any problems with site staff, the reviews of this site on ukcampsites.co.uk are all positive.

John, do look up the reviews, you won't be dissapointed.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Camping and Caravan Club have a site at Scarborough, which we stayed on in 2008. Located at Field Lane, Burniston Road, Scarborough. Located about three miles outside of Scarborough.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
PARKSY please show me where i went wrong as to RULE 4, all i said was what happened. i didnt swear or say anything untoward. or is it all you want people to hear is "that site is fantastic and we would go again" i said the truth as to what happened and how we were treat, isn't that what this forum is all about? come on now, you'll be calling me a salesman next.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Mark

If you read the rules of the forum on Forum Etiquette you will see that rule 4 states quite clearly:

'You may not transmit complaints about named companies or caravan parks. Such individual issues should be taken up with the company direct.'

A condition of forum membership is that you agree to abide by these rules.

You wrote about your own experience, other forum members clearly doubt that what you had written was accurate.

You are not allowed to level unfounded accusations at sites or individuals who work on these sites, we on this forum have no method of checking or verifying the accuracy of your very specific allegations.

It's one thing to mention to other members that you don't recommend a site because in your opinion the rules of the site were too stringent for your tastes but to launch into a detailed diatribe which you did with no proof that what you have written is completely and strictly factual and accurate is another matter.

Instead of simply deleting your post completely I have tried to indicate that you don't recommend the site for the reasons given.

I have a copy of your post and if you require further clarification of the rules of this forum I will provide further explanation via email.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
so if someone asks about a site and a person thinks it wasn't good can they say so or will that be blanked out, maybe thats why when i have looked at other site reviews they are all good, i went to that site in sept last year purely through recommendations in this forum. or lets put it another way, if someone went to a site and said " the site was fantastic and the warden helped me do this and helped me do that and nothing was to much trouble, he once did this and borrowed me that" and so on and so on, please tell me you would blank that out, because it works both ways. dont get me wrong here i am not "having a go", i know you have a job to do but it all seems like one way traffic, so come on, be fair, thats all i ask and i am sure all or most members of this forum feel the same, there is always a negative as well as a positive.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
as you say in rule 4 " you cannot transmit complaints about named companies or caravan parks" surely being fair there should also be a rule stating "you cannot transmit PRAISE about names companies or caravan parks" either?

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
With respect, Mark, Parksy's already said in his post above yours that he indicated in the deleted post your dissatisfaction with the site and the fact that you wouldn't recommend it. So posts of that nature, i.e. broadly indicating that you don't personally recommend a site, are allowed, it's specific details against a named site that aren't.

We all have to follow forum rules - rules which, incidentally, are set by the forum administrators (PCv Magazine) and NOT by Parksy or any of the other moderators. The relevant rule in this case about not transmitting complaints about named companies is quoted in Parksy's post.

Sorry Mark, but that's the way it is.....we may not agree with the rules, but the rules are set by the forum we choose to belong to, and we can, of course, choose not to belong to the forum if we don't like it.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Apologies to Durham John for hi jacking this topic but this question arises from time to time and has to be answered to remove all doubt.

Mark

Basically I don't make the rules here so this is not about me being fair or unfair.

Haymarket Publishing Co Ltd own ,host and pay for this forum so they set the rules under which this forum operates.

The bottom line is that no one was ever threatened with legal action for heaping praise on a company but moderated internet forums are subject to UK and international legislation which deals with libel or defamation.

This is why the rules are there for all to see, moderators are appointed to remove any posts which could put Haymarket Publishing at risk of having to defend court actions and why as a condition of being allowed to use this forum all members agree to abide by the rules when they join.

You are allowed to make 'fair comment' so if you don't recommend a particular site you are allowed to say so but the sort of detailed allegations which were contained in your post which I removed could be disputed by the owners of the site which you mentioned.

Normally in these cases the site owners would contact Haymarket via the Practical Caravan magazine and ask that such posts are removed. Sometimes this request is accompanied by the threat of legal action so while I have no reason to doubt that what you wrote actually happened from your point of view there is no method of proof available to me or to Haymarket Publishing.

It then follows that if the caravan park which you mentioned suffered a loss of trade because we had allowed your allegations to remain on the forum they could seek redress in the courts.

The site owners wouldn't gain much by taking legal action against the individual who had submitted the post so their obvious target would be Haymarket Publishing who had allowed what a judge might consider to be libel or defamation to be aired on their forum.

Now I have a question for you Mark.

Why should Haymarket pay for expensive lawyers to advise on and defend against threats of litigation when it's much easier and far less expensive to post clear and unequivocal rules, make it a condition of use that members agree to abide by these rules and appoint forum moderators to ensure that the occasional rule breach is dealt with promptly before any damage is done?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
With respect, Mark, Parksy's already said in his post above yours that he indicated in the deleted post your dissatisfaction with the site and the fact that you wouldn't recommend it. So posts of that nature, i.e. broadly indicating that you don't personally recommend a site, are allowed, it's specific details against a named site that aren't.

We all have to follow forum rules - rules which, incidentally, are set by the forum administrators (PCv Magazine) and NOT by Parksy or any of the other moderators. The relevant rule in this case about not transmitting complaints about named companies is quoted in Parksy's post.

Sorry Mark, but that's the way it is.....we may not agree with the rules, but the rules are set by the forum we choose to belong to, and we can, of course, choose not to belong to the forum if we don't like it.
Thanks Sue - I wish that I could type faster lol

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Mark,

I am new to caravanning but have participated in the Forum for the past 6 months, and I did read your post before it was deleted. My feeling at the time was that it was too strong and I was not surprised when the moderator removed it. However I feel that Parksy was fair and correct to point out that you did not recommend the site, having had a bad experience with it.

He has subsequently given you detailed information and reasons as to why he had to remove it, and I feel that you should gracefully accept them and move on.

Best regards,

George

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ok getting back to the origonal question.... jacobs mount seems ok for location and price to visit Scarborough, any comments in the politest way please !1

John

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
We sayed at the CC site at West Ayton last year. Usual CC high standards, supermarket, petrol station, fish & chips and few pubs in the village. Only 4 miles from Scarborough and ideal for touring the area. Going back for a week in July but also liked the look of Lebberston Touring Park.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
for my sins i really prefer staying at Flamborough.There are a few sites within easy walking distance of the village ctr where you can enjoy a very nice pint or two, fantastic chish and fips and its quiet.

The North Star Hotel does the best Hot Chocolate anywhere.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
If Lebberston Touring Park is the one that use to be run by a farmer called Pickard 20 or so years ago, I would also heartily recommend it. The best bit was that it was well drained so even if there was any arin the grass would be dry in no time afterwards.

We always used to go for pitches at the top along the right edge after entering with the 'van backed up to the fence - which meant we were facing essentially south and got the best of the sun.

Nice area, plenty to do and see. Scarborough in our opinion is one of the best seaside resorts in the country, Bridlington is equally nice although smaller and as it is flat it attracts more of the 'silver brigade' than Scarborough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts