scarborough to durham route advice please

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
Am on holiday at the moment in scarborough and am due to move up to Durham in a couple of days. A look at the map this morning suggests either Thirsk and sutton bank, which I got caught by once before (not suitable for caravans) or basically going through the heart of Middlesborough. Don't know the area at all and am not that keen to try it with a caravan on. Any advice or routr tips from people with a knowledge of the roads would be gratefully receieved

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi steve, dont use sutton bank, you are not allowed. You will probably come a cropper or at least do some damage to your brakes. There is a caravan route around sutton bank and is well signed. This ends up on the A19. If you go the Middlesboro way you dont go through the middle of the town. The road is a dual carrigway and goes through the town but not on the street level so dont worry about it. After the town you get good access to the A19 north and south.
You could always come over the A64 toward York then either the A19 or further on to the A1m but that is the long route. Hope this help[s you.

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
Thanks, your reply gives me confidence I didn't have from looking at the map. So I'll be coming up the A171 into the south of middlesborough, then presumably onto the A174 for a short while before getting onto the A19? Is it fairly starightforward and signposted? I really can't rely on my satnav with the caravan on, it does some really weird things!

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Steve

Racoon is right about the route

once you get on the a19 come off at J12 and follow th A689 to the A1(M) then head North then straight on till Durham, the home of arguablly the finest cathedral in Britain

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi steve, once you are on the dual carriage way through the Boro you will see the sign post for the A19 North and South. It is important that you keep to the left lane after the town centre because this is to get into the turn off road that goes north. Once on the turn off then go into the Right lane and then onto the A19 proper.
As you go up the A19 you will miss the first turn off which is for Billingham, stay in the center lane. You will take the next turn off a few miles up the road. I think it has "BISHOP AUCKLAND" and it. Stay on that (about 10 miles) till you see the A1m and go north. Then go up that for TWO junctions then you will see the sign for Durham city. Dont worry if you see a sign for Durham services on the first junction, that is NOT Durham.
Once you have turned off for Durham itself then that road, a dual carrigway goes down into Durham City itself. I dont know where you are going to stay though so you will have to let us know or you should be ok from there.

Feb 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi!
There is no need to to go through Middlesbrough.
A171 north out of Scarborough sign posted Whitby follow this road all the way to Nunthorpe
At the island at Nunthorpe (the last one after a long straight stretch) turn left probably sign posted Stokesley and A19.
At the next island turn right on the A172 probably sign posted A19 and Middlesborough.
Straight on at the next set of traffic lights.
Straight on at the next island still on on the A172 probably sign posted A19 and Middlesborough.
Now keep an eye out for the left turn onto a slip road for the A174 which is sign posted A19.
Stay on the A174 until you turn right on the island at the end for the A19 north bound.

I don't know the best way to Durham after that, though the A689 looks your best bet on the map.

Steve G.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi steve, thats easy for you to get to. As I said in one of my last posts about getting to the A1m, you just need to turn off at the Durham City turn off. Take the left run off lane and turn off at the firt exit. Straight away go over to the outside lane because the turn in for the site is only a hundred yards or so. If you miss it dont worry because if you go another few hundred yards down the road take the first exit and then turn right at the top of slip road then follow road round back onto the dual carridgeway back up to the site.
Its a good site so I have been told. Also in a good position for visting the city.

hope you have a good time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts