scenic & abbey 214

Jun 13, 2006
Visit site
Please help I have a renault scenic 19dti and have just bought a Abbey gts 214 the plate on the side of the van say 948kg, please tell me that my car will pull this van.

regards

Coopes

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Not sure if the van weight you mentioned is the unlaiden or fully laden weight. Here are some weights of the scenic:-

1.9 DTI

Kerb Weight 1290kg

85% Weight 1096kg

Max Towing weight 1300kg

If the weight you mentioned is the MTPLM (max towing weight) then you should be fine.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Best check the figures but according to my data, if you load the Scenic up to its max. GVW of 2010kg, then you've only got 990kg left for towing. Otherwise you will exceed the gross train weight of 3000kg. So, hopefully, the 948kg shown on the plate of the caravan is the max. weight (MTPLM).

Jun 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi thanks for the replys. I have found a bit more info which I think may help I don't understand myself but hopfully one of you nice people on here may.

214 Model:

2 Berths:

4.52M /14'10"nternal Length:

2.15M / 7'1' Overall Width:

2.75M / 9'0' Overall Height:

6.07M / 19'10' Overall Length:

948kg /18.7 cwt Mass in Running Order: (inc. 3% tolerance)

88kg/1.7 cwt Essential Habitation Equipment Payload:

103kg /2.0 cwt Personal Effects payload:

36kg /0.7 cwt Optional Equipment payload:

1175kg /23.1 cwt Maximum Technical Permissable Laden Mass:

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Unfortunately, the picture is not so favourable any more. The max. weight of the caravan is not 948kg but 1175kg. This is still within the legal limit but if you load car and/or caravan up, you could exceed the max. permissible gross train weight. If the kerbweight of the Scenic is about 1430kg (this is Renault's website data - I find Graeme's figure of 1290kg rather low) and the caravan weighs 948kg empty, then you've got 622kg of sum total payload in car and caravan together at your disposal in order to remain legal. Only you can judge whether that is adequate to meet your needs.

Weight ratiowise you'll be OK at around 85% (+6%/-3%, depending on whether you use Renault's website data or Graeme's figure.)

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Lutz, I got the figures for the Scenic from a Renault web site, and just cut 'n' pasted them as my reply. The data was from cars manufactured after 98 so I wonder if the model has changed since then.

Agree with your comments that the outfit might not be as good as first thuoght.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We probably picked two 1.9dti's with different specification out of the Renault website (I think I selected the Dynamique) but, as kerbweights quoted in brochures and websites are only guidelines anyway, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the difference between our figures.

Jun 13, 2006
Visit site
Found more specs on my Renault:

Max permissable all-up weight is 1900k

Max permissable towing weight is 1350k

total train weight max is 2855k

permissable nose weight is 75k.

hope this makes sense to someone

Coopes

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, although each time you give us more details, the picture becomes a little worse. I had been working on data showing 3000kg as max. gross train weight but now it appears that it's only 2855kg. This means that if the car is fully laden to the 1900kg that you quote, it may only tow 955kg which is not much more than the weight of your caravan empty. Conversely, if you want to tow the caravan fully laden at 1175kg, then the car may weigh not more than 1680kg which doesn't give you an awful lot of payload that you can put in the car.

In short, yes, you can tow the caravan with the Scenic but you may have to restrict the amount of luggage that you can load on board either the car or the caravan.

Jun 13, 2006
Visit site
Just got this off what towcar.com

The match between car and caravan is plausible in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 89%.

The towing performances of this Renault with your Abbey are reasonable (performance index = 90 km/u or 56 mph).

is 89% over the top?

Sorry for all this just worried about towing the damn thing

You may expect adequate performances from this outfit. On flat roads you can come along provided you've selected the right gear, in which case top gear is applicable in most cases.

On motorway inclines you will be able to come along quite nicely. On steep roads you have sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there's most prabably sufficient power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would take the recommendation from whattowcar.com with a pinch of salt. It calculates a weight ratio based on the MTPLM of the caravan without even taking into account that it would be illegal to tow at the MTPLM if the car is fully laden.

Also, quote, "The match between car and caravan is plausible in accordance with a mix of European standards." I really have absolutely no idea what is meant by that. To me it sounds as though somebody doesn't know what they are talking about.

Feb 19, 2006
Visit site
I would take the recommendation from whattowcar.com with a pinch of salt. It calculates a weight ratio based on the MTPLM of the caravan without even taking into account that it would be illegal to tow at the MTPLM if the car is fully laden.

Also, quote, "The match between car and caravan is plausible in accordance with a mix of European standards." I really have absolutely no idea what is meant by that. To me it sounds as though somebody doesn't know what they are talking about.
the max towing permissable weight stated by Renault in the onwers handbook is applicable to a vehicle with driver only i.e. no luggage or passengers. Although the 1.9dti is a very capable engine and will comfortably tow your caravan, seek assistance in calculating your MPTW

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Please let me tell you my tale- and it's not good news!

3 years ago, through Motability, we chose the Scenic 90Cdi. glossy brochure said max tow weight, braked trailer was 1300kg. I was horrified to find out from the drivers manual when the car was delivered that this was only with a driver, no load. I intended to tow my ABI Manhattan 560/4 max load 1250 kgs.

We used that van every week, so kept stuff in it- you know, sauce bottles, spare tea towels etc, and just put enough clothes in and food for the weekend. Therefore, I thought my van would be lightly loaded.

I never put the water drums or awning in the van, so I began to worry about the car loading. Neither my wife nor I are lightweights, so I decided to weigh the unit fully loaded for a weekend on a public weighbridge. Now for the bad news;-

The van weighed exactly 1250kg

The van+car weighed 3100 kgs!!!!

This meant I was 180kg or so over the legal weight.

Your van is not far off the max load mentioned above- if you are not sure, then load it up, and weigh it. It cost me

Jun 13, 2006
Visit site
Hiya Scouser, I have done a lot of looking into the towing weights of the Scenic with my van, came to the conclusion that the van is to heavy. I have now bought a Kia Sportage xse 2ltr o2 plate, will pull my van with 127Kg to spare. It's a little bit more thirsty on juice, but it has all what the scenic had and a little more like 4x4 if needed.

Mark

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
Please let me tell you my tale- and it's not good news!

3 years ago, through Motability, we chose the Scenic 90Cdi. glossy brochure said max tow weight, braked trailer was 1300kg. I was horrified to find out from the drivers manual when the car was delivered that this was only with a driver, no load. I intended to tow my ABI Manhattan 560/4 max load 1250 kgs.

We used that van every week, so kept stuff in it- you know, sauce bottles, spare tea towels etc, and just put enough clothes in and food for the weekend. Therefore, I thought my van would be lightly loaded.

I never put the water drums or awning in the van, so I began to worry about the car loading. Neither my wife nor I are lightweights, so I decided to weigh the unit fully loaded for a weekend on a public weighbridge. Now for the bad news;-

The van weighed exactly 1250kg

The van+car weighed 3100 kgs!!!!

This meant I was 180kg or so over the legal weight.

Your van is not far off the max load mentioned above- if you are not sure, then load it up, and weigh it. It cost me

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts