Scotland to Northern Ireland

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone

This will be our second year with the van and are being adventurous! Plan is: to Stranraer (staying at Drummore CC site) then ferry to Belfast and driving up to Ballymoney CC site. Then on return journey maybe trying a CL around Castle Howard in Scotland. Questions I have:

1. I've heard the A75 is a dangerous road. Is it suitable for us newbies to tow on do you think??

2. Is Stranraer to Belfast the best route or Cairnryan to Larne?

3. Can anyone reccomend a CL around Castle Howard?

4. Anyone stayed at the CC sites at Drummore and Ballymoney and what are they like? Any tips for places to visit?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Angel

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Angel

the A75 is not that bad a road, granted there are some heavy trucks on it but there are plenty of pull ins to let them past if you want. As an ex truck driver i've travelled that route a few times and Stranraer to Belfast is the faster crossing with a high speed ferry approx 1 hour forty minutes if memory serves me but cairnryan to larn I think is the slow boat at around four hours. Sorry but can't help with the other two questions.

Good luck with Ireland it is a beautifull place

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Angel,

The A75 is a good road and you will have no problems. It is a busy road as it is the main road from Stranraer and carries a lot of heavy lorries.However as previously mentioned there are a number of places to pull in if you need to but you should be able to maintain 50mph (legal speed limit on most of the road) If you are going Stranraer to Belfast with Stena Line make sure you book for HSS (high speed ferry) which takes approx.1hr 45 minutes and not the conventional ferry which takes approx 3hrs 15 minutes (although this method is sometimes cheaper). The P & O ferry from Cairnryan takes approx 2 hrs.

The site at Drumore is lovely, set on the shores of Luce Bay it is divided into small grassy areas surrounded by gorse.All facilities up the usual CC standards. When we were last there a fish & chip van called twice a week. If there has to be a downside to the site it is the fact that you need to use the car to go anywhere. The whole area is one of beauty, some lovely gardens to visit like Logan Botanicial Gardens 10 minutes away or Port Logan where 1000 acres of Sky was filmed. I have not stayed on the Ballymoney site but have walked around it and was very impressed with it. Northern Ireland is lovely and most major attractions are within 2/3 hours drive.

On the question of the way back I am not aware of a Castle Howard in Scotland (the only one I know is in North Yorkshire). Have you got the name wrong?

Have a great time whatever way you choose.

William

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi Angel, the crossing between Stranraer and Belfast is operated by Stena Line.They use an HSS and a conventional ferry on this route.HSS crossing takes just under 2 hours and the ferry 3+.Cairnryan to Larne is operated by P&O Irish Sea.They use a fast craft between March and October and the crossing time using it is 1 hour, they also have conventional ferries on this route and their crossing time is roughly the same as the HSS.If you are travelling on to Ballymoney-Drumaghelis Marina I presume-then Larne is possibly geographically closer, but Belfast may offer you easiest road access.I live in N.I.and we have used both ferry routes recently.If you have Tesco vouchers you can use these to buy tickets on both routes, or if you are in CC or CC&C check any offers they may have for travel.Both ferry companies are fine to travel with,I haven't priced travel with them yet this year,so can't give any advice there!I'm not sure exactly where you will be setting out from,but Stena also operate a service from Fleetwood to Larne, if that would be an easier starting point for you.

We haven't stayed on the site at Ballymoney, but I believe it is a very good site, and will give you a good base for touring the North Coast area as well as the Antrim Coast Road and Glens of Antrim.If I can help you further, please let me know.

Heather

Oct 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi, we are travelling the other way larne to cairnryan. Chose the slower route as more room for your caravan as is mainly used by freight as is a drive on drive off. One of the faster crossings requires reversing. Ballyness (bushmills) is lovely but it takes bookings from september so hopefully not fully booked beach approx 1 mile away and closer to the causeway. I would choose this over Drumaheglis, newer, lovely toilet blocks and closer to a village and bushmills distillery worth a visit. Drumaheglis is on the river if you are into water sports but no real walking or anything here shops about 4 miles and coast about 7. Benone tourist complex is lovely right on the beach for evening walks or cycles. Carnfunnock is a lovely site near larne if your crossing times require a stop over. From larne about 10 miles on A roads to get to M2 north and belfast harder to negotiate if never been here before but you get straight on M2 from here. hth.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Angel

Another vote for Ballyness at Bushmills

http://www.ballynesscaravanpark.com/ Spotless facilities and nearer to the things you want to see and do. Drumaheglis is nice too but we definitely prefer Ballyness. If you are going to move around would also recommend Rushin House in Co Fermanagh. The coast road from Larne to Portrush is stunning and you can do it with a caravan. We are presently trying to get the above 2 sites added to the C.C. Book as we are Inspectors for the Club. Any other queries about N.I.?

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel,

The A75 is a good road and you will have no problems. It is a busy road as it is the main road from Stranraer and carries a lot of heavy lorries.However as previously mentioned there are a number of places to pull in if you need to but you should be able to maintain 50mph (legal speed limit on most of the road) If you are going Stranraer to Belfast with Stena Line make sure you book for HSS (high speed ferry) which takes approx.1hr 45 minutes and not the conventional ferry which takes approx 3hrs 15 minutes (although this method is sometimes cheaper). The P & O ferry from Cairnryan takes approx 2 hrs.

The site at Drumore is lovely, set on the shores of Luce Bay it is divided into small grassy areas surrounded by gorse.All facilities up the usual CC standards. When we were last there a fish & chip van called twice a week. If there has to be a downside to the site it is the fact that you need to use the car to go anywhere. The whole area is one of beauty, some lovely gardens to visit like Logan Botanicial Gardens 10 minutes away or Port Logan where 1000 acres of Sky was filmed. I have not stayed on the Ballymoney site but have walked around it and was very impressed with it. Northern Ireland is lovely and most major attractions are within 2/3 hours drive.

On the question of the way back I am not aware of a Castle Howard in Scotland (the only one I know is in North Yorkshire). Have you got the name wrong?

Have a great time whatever way you choose.

William
OMG my son is going to be ecstatic when I tell him about the chip van!! We stayed at Beechwood Grange CC site in York last year and he hasn't stopped asking to go back yet. Why? the chip van!! Lol. Thank u so much for the info

Angel

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks so much for all the info everyone, this site is fantastic! I've rung Ballyness and just waiting to hear back from them. It looks beautiful! I've booked Drummore too. May have to think further about the ferry crossings, don't think my hubby would be too keen on reversing onto a ferry!! Or maybe I just won't tell him ;0)

Angel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts