Scotland - Western Isles

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Any advice welcome on touring the Scottish Western Isles with the van - ferries, roads, sites, etc. Having lived/worked in and toured mainland Scotland we are also aware of the midge problem.

Or should we just go solo, obviously easier.

Just thinking of something different as when we are let loose I don't fancy doing our usual continental tour until everything settles down (even though we have paid for a Eurotunnel return)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Did you have to bring this up. I would have been setting off for Bunree and then onto the Outer Hebrides first thing tomorrow morning. I have been trying to put the disappointment out of my mind.

As for advice, we originally booked our April ferries in January, and only just managed to get places, so you would need to book early. The ferries for us were Ullapool to Stornoway, the Harris Berneray Ferry and the Lochboisdale Mallaig ferry. We saved a bit of cash too by booking the hopscotch tickets. The roads are mainly fine for touring but I personally would find dragging a caravan around the NC500 a bit of a drag.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The NC 500 is a fabulous route and I get periodic newsletters of events and suggestions. It is marketed heavily and risks being a victim of its own success. In that accommodation in the picturesque spots is booked well in advance and is pricey. But planned well in advance it’s a trip well worth doing.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would also add, that our trip to Lewis and Harris, the Uists and other smaller Ilsands were to be done by hotel. We had planned on staying on the Bunree Club Site, and leaving the van unattended with the wardens permission. Having looked at what few campsites were available on the Outer Hebrides, and indeed further in at Mull and Islay, I was disappointed with the offerings avaialble for campsites. Much of it was bordering on wild camping or farmers fields. There are places, but few and far between. I suspect it would be easier to do by motorhome, but thats not caravanning in my book. ;)

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Last year two new campsites with full facilities (electric etc) opened on Mull. One at Salen and one at Pennygowen (just south of Salen).
Presumably all camp sites UK are now closed for the foreseeable future. And I think CALMAC are only allowing locals to travel.

Reactions: Thingy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The now called NC 500 is nothing new!
many of us have been doing this route , not knowingly NC 500 , for decades.
Tugging the caravan mile by mile is not on. Eg Applecross . There is a caravan park but you have to take the long long route rather than the Pass of the Cattle road which is probably the most scenic and breathtaking in the U.K. Sutherland is true wild Scotland, stay at Scourie. Another day I will list the best sites to stay on this route

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts