scott stabilizer groaning

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
THE HISTORY , Hi about three years ago I bought a second hand caravan everything included , off a chap who like me had a young family , his kids had grown up and he was selling the lot , so for less than the price of a week in Benidorm (£ 1750 )I got an early nineties Adria 4 berth and quite literally " absolutely everything " bargain of the century.

THE QUESTION, Included was SCOTT stabilizer which was great for the first year , but then it started making this awfull groaning noise , mostly on pulling away . A kindly fellow caravanner told me this was the "washers " in the stabilizer that where the problem , so I stripped it down and replaced with new , however the tightness or torque or pressure to re-tighten it back up with the new plates in ,is somewhat of a mystery , there was no help included with the new washers and on line info is a bit scarce , Some one mentioned 60 lb,s and the use bathroom scales , but didnt offer any more help ??, any how the new plates are in - the internal surfaces are clean dry and flat - and when I pull away GROAAANNN ????? sorry to all at windermere this weekend who where woken by me setting off with an early morning GROANNNNN , any help , advice , settings , methods - all gratefully received .Do I tighten up or loosen off?????

P.S. luckily my car has a button on the dashboard that takes away the awfull noise , its called the radio , works O.K/ but its not good practice.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Mine always groaned, I think they all did if they were set correctly.

To set a Scott-Halley or Bulldog blade stabiliser, you do indeed have to tighten/adjust the central bolt until the end of the blade just moves with 27kg/60lb pressure from bathroom scales. I used to fit the stabiliser to the car and push horizontally with the scales to get the correct reading.

When you fitted new friction disks you should have made sure that the metal surfaces they're on are clean and smooth.

Each winter, strip the assembly, clean the disks and metal surfaces with meths and re-assemble and re-set the torque.

I used to replace the friction pads every five years, which was every 10,000 miles in our case.

Don't feel guilty - a few Al-Ko hitch stabilisers make a similar noise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts