sealing awnings with fabrisil

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
I need to re seal my awning and have bought a tin of fabrisil. What is the best way to carry out the re sealing, is it best to do it whilst the awning is attached to the caravan or whilst it is on the floor. Does the sealant affect the paintwork on the caravan.

Regards

Ian

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Ian,

I'd suggest you check with your awning manufacturer for their recommended re-sealant.

Most modern awnings are made from acrylic fabric coated with a fluoro-polymer - this is similar to Teflon non-stick coating - and the correct re-sealer is another fluoro-polymer (such as 303 High Tech Fabric Guard)

Fabsil is a silicone based sealant and tends to slide off the Teflon-like fluoro-polymer coated fabric - it will work, but you might need to reproof on a regular basis...

Reproofing is always best when the fabric is stretched in it's normal erected position which may be difficult if you need to treat the roof - and you ideally need a hot day to help the solvent evaporate and the sealant bond with the fabric (which might not happen on a cold day or for the Teflon reason above)

If you've bought liquid Fabsil and a new paint brush - then good - that stands the best chance of working - make sure you soak the fabric so that the Fabsil can bond into the fabric threads.

If you find you need more - then Thompson Silicone Sealer is the same material as Fabsil - it's just much cheaper buying it from B&Q in a big tin rather than a small tin of Fabsil from a camping shop..

If you've bought Fabsil spray - then don't allow over-spray to get on the caravan windows. Do a test spray and see if the spray just beads and sits on the top of the fabric - stop and buy the fluoro-polymer stuff.

Robert

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ian,

well we have got one of those not too commented about PDQ Awnings.Yes it leaked but we treated it with Fabrisil & we applied it whilst on the ground (or hard surface) with a paint roller.You could then see how it was applied & dried.Upto now it hasn't leaked.

Denise

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts