Searched Everywhere But No Luck. Video Formats For Upload Please?

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Apologies for taking a thread but I've searched and cannot find any details of acceptable video formats to upload.

The forum rules say they are welcome and I have re-sized an mp4 down to 4.74 mb . If I try to upload I get a notice telling me the file does not have an allowed extension. I'm surprised but if that's the case so be it.

Is there somewhere I can find a list of acceptable file extensions please?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
VLC media player will play almost anything and once you have opened the file you an convert/save the file in a different format.
mp4 is not a common format AFAICT - have you tried it as m4a?

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
VLC media player will play almost anything and once you have opened the file you an convert/save the file in a different format.
mp4 is not a common format AFAICT - have you tried it as m4a?

Yep. Although VLC doesn't convert to m4a it will, as you say, convert to other formats.

I've tried 4 different versions and they range from 20.4 mb to 36 mb - I've already reduced the file to under 5 mb so that's a four fold increase!

Looks like not going to get anywhere. Will have another go but not with VLC. Fingers crossed.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Yep. Although VLC doesn't convert to m4a it will, as you say, convert to other formats.

I've tried 4 different versions and they range from 20.4 mb to 36 mb - I've already reduced the file to under 5 mb so that's a four fold increase!

Looks like not going to get anywhere. Will have another go but not with VLC. Fingers crossed.
I'll contact our admin when he's back at work on Monday John.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I'll contact our admin when he's back at work on Monday John.

Thanks Parksy. I'll try a couple more later - fingers crossed.
You might check if there is a size limit as well please. I don't see any mentioned but most sites would impose one.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
MP4 is one of the most common digital video formats, but there is a degree of ambiguity associated with MP4 as it is actually a “standard“ rather than a specific file format, meaning that a video file conforming to MP4 could have any one of a number of extensions, including but not limited to ...

mp4, m4a, m4v, f4v, f4a, m4b, m4r, f4b, or mov !

Just out of curiosity, what method are you using to try and upload your video, as after a cursory glance, I can’t see anything resembling an “upload video’“ icon.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
MP4 is one of the most common digital video formats, but there is a degree of ambiguity associated with MP4 as it is actually a “standard“ rather than a specific file format, meaning that a video file conforming to MP4 could have any one of a number of extensions, including but not limited to ...

Just out of curiosity, what method are you using to try and upload your video, as after a cursory glance, I can’t see anything resembling an “upload video’“ icon.

I have Handbrake and have used it but found files became larger! Not an expert so will get back but have no time now. Thanks for the offer of help.
I was trying to upload by simply "adding the file" I'll check again tomorrow and let you know. Must dash now!

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

Sorry about the delay.

I mentioned that I tried "Handbrake" and every finished file was around 4 times the size of my original - that has stumped me. Any advice regarding the settings to use would be great. I did find advice on the web but again, the settings once again increased final file size and I presume there will be a size limitation for uploading.
I read in the forum "rules" that videos are welcomed provided they met certain criteria but that was regarding content. I found no mention of how to upload.

I've simply tried to use the "attach files" button below posts with no luck.

Maybe Parksy will have managed to get some further information.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me John.
Steven is based in the US so I had to take account of the time difference.
I've contacted him now. 👍

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
Apologies for taking a thread but I've searched and cannot find any details of acceptable video formats to upload.

The forum rules say they are welcome and I have re-sized an mp4 down to 4.74 mb . If I try to upload I get a notice telling me the file does not have an allowed extension. I'm surprised but if that's the case so be it.

Is there somewhere I can find a list of acceptable file extensions please?

Hey there!

I'm sorry for the delayed response. Parksy called it out early, but I'm afraid I wasn't able to follow up earlier.

It looks like I'll need to do a bit of digging to get to the bottom of the underlying issue, but there is a workaround for use in the interim.

If you have a Google account, you will be able to do an upload via dragging and dropping in YouTube. Once the video is done uploading and can be shared, then it gets pretty painless.
  • Click the three dots in a line at the top of a forum post text box
  • Choose Media from the drop-down menu
  • Paste your YouTube video link in there
  • Click Continue

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts