Seasonal pitches

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I've not owned a caravan for a while and I'm considering getting one early next year.

We used to keep one in storage and then drag out to a site when needed but are there any nice sites in the south east that for a reasonable fee will let you leave a van in place all the time?

Don't really even want a tow bar this time if I can avoid it!

I've looked at both clubs and they seem quite expensive and only for part of the year so would prefer 365, even if not allowed to use it for some parts of the year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wish you luck in finding a site where you want it at a cost you are happy with. Caravanning is no longer as "cheap as chips"

I suggest you look at your finances very carefully , unless you are going to make extensive use of a permanently sited caravan, it might be more economical to look at renting a cottage or even a holiday caravan in the area when you want it rather than having the annual costs of site fees insurance, maintenance, jacked up prices of gas, etc

Renting also allows you to change locations without having to work out the logistics of getting the caravan moved.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
It depends on your definition of “ nice site” and ”reasonable price”. We have a van on an all year seasonal pitch. 5 star Site. Fantastic. Not at all cheap; but when working full time it was worth every penny.
We also tour and have recently been on two different sites that were perfectly nice ( but nowhere near the standard of the 5 star site). Neither had loo or shower but did have ehu. Grass was cut but not manicured. Some rough and ready aspects to both. I would happily stay at either again. Pitch fees were £15 and £19 per night. On the sites were vans that were clearly seasonally pitched and were probably used by folks as a work base accommodation. Not a problem. I don’t know what the seasonal price was on these sites but I assume massively cheaper than our 5 star.
These places are out there and are likely to found as small independent sites. The ones we were on were 10 and 20 pitches respectively.
Hope this helps. Would suggest several hours of searching the net :)
mel

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The other possibility to consider is storing your van at the site and getting it towed onto your pitch when you want to use it. This will work out cheaper that a seasonal occupation of a pitch that then cannot provide any further income for the owners. I suppose the possible downside is that with so many additional caravanners this year you might find it difficult to book the pitch at peak times - worth checking before you commit. I think you will find that there are fewer sites licenced for all year, and many sites will have a maximum length of stay.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some site organisations such as Camping in the Forest have two consecutive seasons which can be booked end on end. Mind you you do have to apply for them as separate seasons. But some sites also provide storage as described above so if you missed out on a seasonal booking there’s the possibility of a storage fall back.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We were seasonal for 4 years and it was Adult site fully service hardstanding pitch electric was included, Awning dogs welcome caravan storage (Extra Cost) Fishing pond But No Toiletblock , it was reasonable price ..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly you need to start with what you want from the site. There are two main options you can either have the caravan on a pitch all year or stored in a compound and brought out and sited when you tell them you are coming.
The first option means you can get a pitch that suits you and always be sure of being able to use the pitch but you are taking up valuable space so the costs could be high.
In the second instance you will have to ring the site and get them to site the caravan, which means you will normally get an empty pitch rather than the same one and there is a possibility that the site might be full and no pitch be available. This should be cheaper and the compound more secure than out on site, but you need to see if there is a charge for siting the caravan which needs to be accounted for.
There are web sites listing caravan sites and probably the best bet is to check what those on their have in the way of seasonal pitching and taker it from there.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We are on a seasonal pitch. The cost is the equivalent to two nights per week including electric (often metered and charged separately.) Seems fair enough.
My sense is that most sites have lengthy waiting lists for seasonal pitches. And I think there are regulations preventing 365 day occupancy on camp sites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts