Securely locking door from inside

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to securely lock the external door of my 2007 Elddis Crusader Superstorm from the inside at night, I have a young family and even my 2 year old, who does occasionally sleepwalk, can open the external door even when in the 'up' or 'locked' position... i'm petrified of one of them doing this in the middle of the night and wandering outside, any suggestions gratefully received.

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Put a sliding bolt on the door?
Thanks, both valid suggestions, I had thought of something simple like a bolt, wonder if theres something out there purpose built for touring caravans.

Maybe I could drill the interior handle and put a small padlock under the catch when its in the locked position?

Any other suggestions welcome, I'd love to sleep tight next time we're away and not worry about the kids escaping!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Islander,

I would go for the two piece alarm sold as a window alarm, small and inconspicuous but makes a heck of a noise in an enclosed space.

Re your suggestion (in comments box) about fitting a small padlock, I would not recommend that. In an emergency situation such as a fire you really don't want anything to delay your exit from the caravan.Searching around for a key then trying to fit it in a lock while the fire alarm is sounding and smoke is swirling around is not ideal!

Robert

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Drill a 1/8" hole in the lock tonge so that when a 1/8" split pin is inserted it prevents the tonge from retracting into the lock attach the pin to the lock handle with a length of twine to stop it from getting lost will also prevent the lock being forced open from outside

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I bought two 'window latches' from Homebase and fitted them to top and bottom of the door (inside). They are simple to operate -- just filp them one way to lock and the other way to unlock. In an emegrgency they can be flipped, even in the dark. Admittedly we don't have kids in our 'van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts