Security of the spare wheel??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just been sitting here and thinking about our new caravan a Bailey Series 5 Provence and reading about the various bits and bobs on board etc. We have purchased the necessary security devices hitchlock, wheelclamp etc, when I suddenly thought about the spare wheel which is slung underneath. Can anyone advise me whether you need /or would I already have,some sort of security device to prevent the wheel being removed / stolen. Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated. My thanks & regards in anticipation - Pete.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete, I have the same problem, having just picked up my new van, an Abbey GTS Vogue 420, and reading through the handbook, they suggest taking the spare wheel and carrier home when storing the van! Whilst i can see the logic in that, I still am thinking about security whilst on site, and having read about people having Aquarolls, Wastematers and virtually everything else which isnt secured stolen, then the spare wheel seems like a prime candidate.

I am thinking along the lines of either enlarging the R clip hole which prevents the unlocking wheel from turning whilst moving and making it just big enough to accept a small padlock, or looking to see if it is possible to fit an extended hasp padlock around the chassis and the frame of the carrier, maybe something along the lines of a bike lock????

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think most newish/new spare wheel carriers are of the Alko carrier type , so you will find a smalllish hole in the shaft on which the plastic knob secures the carrier. Alko supply a padlock to fit this hole or , alternatively, buy a small padlock from your local DIY emporium. Incidently, I would fill the padlock with WD40 when fitted and encase it in a small plastic bag with a rubber band because if you just leave the padlock to face the elements unprotected it will deteriorate VERY quickly, mine did in a few weeks. Again, it must be stressed that if they want it ,they will pinch it, nothing is safe!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, you can easily fit a padlock to stop the release knob being unscrewed. Suggest you also fit a padlock at the far end too, otherwise it might be possible to drop the carrier down at this end.

Personally, I would not recommend Supaseal, having read quite a lot of negative things about it. However, I do recommend fitting Tyron bands to prevent the tyre coming adrift if it deflates. This can cause caravans to roll over, when the tyre jams under the wheel arch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts