Security

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Our car has keyless entry,Tried an experiment to check if car is secure when keys are in the van,
First off I have to say the experiment didn't reflect a true site situation,
The experiment was carried out on the driveway outside the house with the car immediately behind the van (not alongside or on front of as is norm on site)
With the keys inside the van on a shelf and the van door open the car doors wouldn,t open and the power tailgate wouldn't open.
Has anyone tried this experiment on site ?,if so I'd like to hear the results.
Intend to experiment next time we are on site.
You read about thieves cloning car keys from the radio signal the keys emit not sure if this would be possible if car keys left in van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Our car has keyless entry,Tried an experiment to check if car is secure when keys are in the van,
First off I have to say the experiment didn't reflect a true site situation,
The experiment was carried out on the driveway outside the house with the car immediately behind the van (not alongside or on front of as is norm on site)
With the keys inside the van on a shelf and the van door open the car doors wouldn,t open and the power tailgate wouldn't open.
Has anyone tried this experiment on site ?,if so I'd like to hear the results.
Intend to experiment next time we are on site.
You read about thieves cloning car keys from the radio signal the keys emit not sure if this would be possible if car keys left in van.
Van is probably acting as a Faraday cage.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You do not say what you have as a car but on our Mazda unless you are almost touching the door the keyless entry will not work. Remote thefts use a booster to open the door, but if you put the keys in a tin foil lined metal container or the microwave they cannot pick up the signal. I doubt the caravan would work, as the windows will allow the signal through.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
From what I understand, the devices used boost or copy the radio transponder signal in the key to spoof the presence of the key near the car. The key being in the caravan may be outside it's normal range. I do not have a keyless entry (which I'm glad of) but I can lock and unlock the car from inside the caravan.
My father has a keyless entry car and the cheap blocking pouch he bought works to block the signal even with the key next to the car. Tin foil also works in a pinch.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
One pouch at home, a second one in the van job done. I don't think putting them in the microwave is appropriate - some vans have the MW above the fridge freezer, so high up for some persons. Inadvertently microwaving the key probably won't improve its performance...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the point but ours is at chest level so not a problem for us. If yours is that high a tinfoil lined tin might be safer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts