self converted towcar into small campervan

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I have a 2007 Citroen Berlingo Multispace which I use for towing and have basically thought up a design for temporary conversion into a small campervan without any modifications to the exterior - so it would look just like the original vehicle. There would be no damage at all to the interior

Two of the rear seats are easily removed, the single rear seat would fold up out of the way and a single bed would fold down over the woundback drivers seatback to give a good sized single bed. Storage would be under this raised bed and a small unit stood in as a stand for single cooker etc. Curtains would simply clip on to several cubby holes and hooks around the interior.

the whole job should be very starightforward at very little cost, now:

Would this be allowed on camping/caravan sites and does anyone see any difficulties in using it for the odd weekend?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi ,

My Dad 'converted' an Austin Cambridge Estate in 1965 by installing Swish curtaining all round and getting a mattress of foam for him and Mum to sleep in at the back. Me? I slept across the front seat.

The number of times we slept on Scarborough pier without consent was numerous.

Thats the beauty of your idea. You could 'wild camp' all over the place without anyone in authority having a clue because your vehicle looks so, so, so, 'normal'.

Go for it.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Silver Surfer,

Nephew has converted a VW Van similar to your suggestion.

And as emmitdb has said he does "wild camp" occasionaly but most of the time he camps on site in the Newquay area.

Mind you dont know if its classed as a motorhome on sites, something you would have to look into.

Kev

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have often thought along similar lines but with the addition of a raised roof by using the raised roof system from a Freedom or similar lightweight caravan. This would give slightly better headroom whilst using the vehicle as a motorhome but almost normal headroom for daily travelling/parking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts