Self Isolation before operation???

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
My wife is going into hospital towards the end of September for an operation.
As she informed the hospital she would be on holiday in this country during the first 2 weeks in September,she has been told that she has to self isolate for 14 days before her operation.
Im not sure if this is correct.
Could anyone shed some light on this please?
Many thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi.
As she informed the hospital she would be on holiday in this country during the first 2 weeks in September,she has been told that she has to self isolate for 14 days before her operation.
Many thanks
That’s what’s happening here in BANES if people have been out and about. Also a Covid test prior to going into hospital and self isolating after the these until entry. If test is positive then there’s a delay.

Seems to make sense and reduces risk to all parties.

PS a retired couple on our road self isolated together the husband didn’t have to isolate from his wife prior to admission. When their son was made redundant in London he came back to stay at his parents home but he had to live in the motorhome and wasn’t allowed into the house with food laundry etc being brought out to him. Dad as ever was the Thetford Fairy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Seems a good idea regardless of holiday plans - it'll reduce the risk of her catching it which would delay the operation and I'm sure she'd feel unhappy if she thought she'd taken Covid-19 into the hospital.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi.
Many thanks
Frankly it does not matter what anyone else has or is doing, Your wife's health professionals have given you the advice they feel is appropriate to protect your wife and them and other patients whist using the hospital facilities.

What if you tried to argue the point? The chances are the hospital would refuse to carry out the procedures.

It obviously is an imposition for some, but you have to consider the safety of others.

Edit
Have you asked the hospital to re affirm their requirement?

I don't think a caravan form where everyone is anonymous, and their expertness cannot not be verified, is really the place to get a second opinion about a medical condition or its professional treatment.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I (and the wife) certainly had to self isolate before I had an outpatient operation, a few weeks ago (was in 10 hours). don't know whether it still applies but certainly did then.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i received a hospital appointment some weeks ago and i had to isolate for a fortnight before going in . but it certainly applies here .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My friend had a knee replacement five weeks ago. He was told to self isolate for 14 days. This I am told included his wife if he wanted her near him. Failure? No operation. QED

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all for your input and help.

I realise that by asking the question on a caravan chat forum,replies would mostly be from "ordinary people" and wasnt asking for second opinions or specific medical advice.

My wife is a home carer for the elderly for many years and has worked continually through this lockdown dealing with all the stages of this terrible virus.
Unfortunatly,a number of her "patients" have not made it and ive had to try to console her afterwards as many of the fantastic nurses and doctors,friends and families of loved ones have endured.
In hindsight,perhaps I should have asked my wife the question I posted,but instead decided to ask the forum members here.
Although not all of us here are experts,but over the years,ive appreciated ALL the replies given to my questions and will continue to seek your
help and maybe even be able to help someone else if I can.
Thank you everyone👏👏👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts