Selling privately

May 3, 2010
Visit site
We have our van up for sale and have had a couple of enquiries over the weekend.

This is where I need some advice - if it does sell what is the safest way of obtaining payment from the purchaser? We are talking quite a few thousand and other than asking them to turn up with a carrier bag full of money how is it best to proceed? I am too trusting when it comes to these things but am aware of the all too believeable scams that go on these days.

I would be grateful for any comments, advice or observations on this subject.

many thanks,

Lin

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Linda

Plenty on here on the pitfalls of selling privately.

What doe syour advertisement say? Is it in any way misleading or exagerating eg mint condition, only used once , no damp.

If you mislead the buyer he/she can demand their money back. Best to let them give it a good going over themselves. Tell them you are no caravan expert and leave it to the dealer / mobile caravan engineers for repairs and service.

Only take cash.

Best to meet them at a bank so the bank staff can validate the notes are not counterfeit.

Give them an invoice with a copy for you which you both sign. Clearly state the caravan is sold as seen and examined by the purchaser. Confirm you the seller give no guarantee or warranty.

Good luck.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PERSONALLY a cheque or bankers draft,which after presenting it to the bank and the monies have been securerd to your account....the caravan would not move until this has happened.cash,forgeries could be amongt thwe real cash so beware,this happened to a freind who lost out big time.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Klarky,

Even after a cheque is cleared into your account your bank can still come back and say the cheque is a dud. I would personally only take cash and all deals I have done have been this way. Ref an earlier post re banknotes, there is a useful web site which explains in detail what to look for to ensure you have received legal tender but you may need a magnifying glass to just check a sample note or two

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi there.

I sold mine a couple of months ago and after the viewing the couple agreed to meet me at our bank. I'd spoke to the bank to warn them who checked the money and banked it there and then.

If the buyers want it enough then they should go with your request.

good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Klarky,

Even after a cheque is cleared into your account your bank can still come back and say the cheque is a dud. I would personally only take cash and all deals I have done have been this way. Ref an earlier post re banknotes, there is a useful web site which explains in detail what to look for to ensure you have received legal tender but you may need a magnifying glass to just check a sample note or two
hi,

yeaH BUT YOU WAIT TILL IT CLEARS....if it doesn then youve still got the van

TRENDING THREADS