senator s5 Electrical issue

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
The RCD marked charger, heater lights won't stay closed. Has anyone had the same or similar fault and if so what was the solution? I'm thinking it must be the battery charger as the lights aand heater can both be switched off.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Glenno, on my Senator s6 the charger shared the trip switch with the electric water heater. In my case the culprit was the charger.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Failing chargers on Bailey vans is quite common due to them being housed in a very bad location inside the mains distribution unit with not enough ventilation.
Alternatives are a new BCA charger to directly replace your current one.
Different charger unit such as the Sargent PX300 mounted on the back of the mains distribution box.
Send your charger to Paul at Apuljack Engineering for repair.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes it was the battery charger. Un plugging it fixed the popping breakers. ,£123 for a new one from bailey. Ouch. Will look into a different one. Does any body know the specs such as Max amp etc ?

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Glenno

We can usually offer repairs and upgrades to most chargers/electronics/control panels etc that are a fraction of new - shame you did not contact us. If you still have the old charger then we would appreciate it for research purposes so that we can offer future repairs/replacements that are superiour. We would arrange courier to collect. Please contact us for further info.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
glenno said:
The RCD marked charger, heater lights won't stay closed. Has anyone had the same or similar fault and if so what was the solution? I'm thinking it must be the battery charger as the lights aand heater can both be switched off.

Just to correct your terminology, the safety device you are referring to is an MCB (MInature Circuit Breaker) if an MCB trips it means some component is taking too much current. The RCD (Residual Current Device) is the single switch with the test button by it. It detects any current imbalance between the Phase and Neutral which means some current is escaping to earth which means a fault has occurred.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice i have ordered one of the sargent chargers & will mount it on the back of the box where it will cool better. Hopefully it will arrive this week then i can fit before we go away on Friday.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Well the new Sargent PX300 charger arrived yesterday (good service from sargent) & I installed it last night on the back of the consumer unit box. Easy job really, the mains leads were long enough to connect to the original points without extensions. The 12v leads needed a small extension & the baliey connector fitting but no big deal. It all looks neat & profession & its working like a good 'un.
Many thanks for the replies this is what forums are all about. :)

Glenn.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Glad you have your van electrics working properly again.
The Sargent unit is a good bit of kit and I am sure you will have no problems with it.
Sargent are a great company to deal with and their after sales service and advice is second to none.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts