Senator series 6 water pump

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Have just aquired a Bailey California when turning on the inboard pump it sounds very noisy and after a prolonged period of time with no taps poened activates for a couple of seconds is this normal.If so the noise would appear to be a poor system any comments please.Also could anyone explain what the metal rack thing is for in the front locker thanks

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi John,

I have a series 6 Vermont and the metal thing you refer to is supposed to be a Wine Bottle rack. I took mine out to give added space and fitted a conventional one together with a glasses holder in one of the side upper lockers. See notes in handbook with regard to filling the water system.

Cheers

Lennie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John, Leonard, and Oxfordby,

The pump you almost certainly have is a Shureflo. These are 'displacement pumps' and they vibrate when they operate so can be quite noisy. Re fixing the pump to a rubber pad may reduce the noise.

The pump incorporates a non- return valve on the coldwater inlet side and a pressure switch. The pressure switch senses the water pressure in the caravan pipework. When you open a tap the pressure drops which turns the pump on. Also you will notice that when you turn the tap off, the pump runs for a few moments afterwards, this is while it re-pressurises the pipework until the pressure switch trips.

The momentary operation of the pump every so often is the pressure switch sensing a pressure drop in the pipework, and the pump running to make it up.

If the taps are turned off and this cycling this is happening quite often, it indicates there is a leak somewhere. It is worth checking that none of taps are dripping, and the pipework for weeping joints.

Sometimes the pumps non-return valve can become blocked or damaged and does not close properly. This allows the pipework pressure to vent water back to the tank. You cannot see this happening, but a service on the pump may help to relive the problem.

Usually these systems should go up to pressure and hold for a long time, so continued cycling does need to be investigated.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I find that if I remove the filter on the end of the pipe that goes into the barrel the pump sounds a bit quieter - I think!!!

I don't know if the filter (its a new one) restricts the suction of the pump or if it is just my immagination.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We too have the California, What John L say's is completly correct. We used to have a S6 Pageant Burgundy and that was the same. If the pump repressurises during the night, just switch off the pump at the panel next to the door and it won't disturb your sleep. Both have been noisy but thats the nature of the beast. Enjoy the California, we love our's

Von Ryan

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hmmmm, I'd always wondered what that contraption in the front locker was. I took ours out like Leonard to give us more space. We aren't wine drinkers anyway so that's probably why it's not been missed.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hmmmm, I'd always wondered what that contraption in the front locker was. I took ours out like Leonard to give us more space. We aren't wine drinkers anyway so that's probably why it's not been missed.
"Hmmmm, I'd always wondered what that contraption in the front locker was"

Yes, that's because you always have a flunkey to pour out your drink and bring it to you unlike us lesser mortals who have to fetch our own : )

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What a place to put a wine rack, the wine rack in my caravan is positioned in one of vthe top lockers, we use it to keep the serials upright when on the move.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts