Service Stations that are good for Caravans'

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
We never leave the outfit unattended, if the van is on the back the dogs are in the boot and they are far too precious to leave unattended.
We do stop in services but use the caravan as our rest area.
I don’t mind the lay-bys that have an island between it and the road but the standard lay bys worry me with the fast moving traffic rattling by.
Regarding fuel, I always fill up before the journey so that solves one issue.

Kev

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I always fill up before leaving home but on a tour it's not always possible to avoid refuelling - I've never had a problem with supermarket fuel stations but nowadays I always pre-check using Google Earth and Streetview.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Westmorland services are very good but parking for caravans on the Northbound side can be a problem. You are in with the lorries but there is simply insufficient room at busy times and this is made worse by cars taking these spaces and nothing is generally done about it. I am afraid it needs more parking space.
The Southbound side is far better and no problems there.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Best without a doubt is Gloucester services on the M5 near....Gloucester. Separate caravan park with CCTV but lots of other caravanners around.
Hi Woodentop This would be ideal for me for next season because we want somewhere to stop on route to Torquay so thanks for the recommendation

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We've filled up at a lot of different types of places following some basic guides, fill up early (at the 1/4 tank mark) so you can choose the best looking place, choose the pump lane with an eye for a clear run through and out even if it means waiting longer for the cars in front to clear, and of course don't forget which side your fuel cap is - the 'long reach' hoses often aren't long enough with the extra width of the van.

At services we use the van facilities, if we do leave it the hitch lock goes on.

If the steadies are used, the winding handle goes on the driver's seat - which makes it hard to drive off with them down
On a long run we also make sure we end the day with a full tank, makes for a more relaxed start on day two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raywood

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts