Servicing gas appliances

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That’s probably why some cars have extended service intervals as then they show better in the Fleet Running cost tables and makes them attractive for the first three years. Had a lady work for me and she presented her Skoda Octavia for first MoT on the due date. It had never seen a garage before that MOT. She genuinely thought as she’d not done 20k miles she was okay.

It would have voided the warranty after 2 years but otherwise probably ok.

For a short while, Vauxhall Vectra diesels had a 30,000 mile service interval - with no intermediate oil changes - they reduced it later to 20,000 miles

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the gas check is part of the service and is not done then surely it is malpractice or fraud as you are being charged for somehting that has not been done?
If you have been charged for something, and it hasn't been done then, it could of course just be an oversight but it might be a deliberate fraud. If you have had such a problem then you need to discuss it with the business that you contracted to do the work.

However based on the other posts in this thread I believe the problem in discussion here is a difference in the understanding of what work is involved under any heading in the service lists.

A "check" is not a detailed analysis of a product, it usually one or more observations to verify presence, suitability and /or functionality. Its not a detailed break down of a product.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There is one important factor of a gas “service”. The engineer is supposed to make sure the knobs all return after being depressed for ignition. It goes without saying why this is important.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
TBH as a consumer how would you know if the dealer had done a proper service of a caravan? For all you know the dealer may only service the running gear and perhaps do a damp test. The rest of the form could be ticked off by some wally sitting in the office.
I say this because a few years with a previous dealer after the service when paying I asked for the service sheet. They seemed astounded that I asked for it and there was a lot of scurrying around. The service sheet was ticked off in the office as I could see it being done in the reflection on the glass door panel. They ticked that shocks were not checked as not fitted, but the previous year the dealer had them fitted for us.
As it turned out we had an issue with our flush tank and the technicain found that there was over 60% damp around the area for flush locker door. This was the second ime that severe damp had been picked up within months of a service by the same dealer. Incidentally both damp issues were picked up by the same AWS technician.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Invariably you have to rely on other people when dealing with many aspects of our lives. Unfortunately there are always some who try to short circuit their responsibilities, and some who deliberately try to take advantage, but in general most are honest.

Caravan dealer are no different there will be the good the poor and the ugly, but most should realise that keeping good faith with customers is important.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Invariably you have to rely on other people when dealing with many aspects of our lives. Unfortunately there are always some who try to short circuit their responsibilities, and some who deliberately try to take advantage, but in general most are honest.

Caravan dealer are no different there will be the good the poor and the ugly, but most should realise that keeping good faith with customers is important.

Correct which is why we changed brand and dealer!

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The dodgy dealers that you think may not be doing a proper job should make you more inclined to use a mobile approved technician as they come to you and there is at least an opportunity to watch what is and what isn’t being done, far less chance of them cutting corners I would think.

BP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The dodgy dealers that you think may not be doing a proper job should make you more inclined to use a mobile approved technician as they come to you and there is at least an opportunity to watch what is and what isn’t being done, far less chance of them cutting corners I would think.

BP
It is certainly an option, and I am not accusing mobile engineers of anything, but how many caravanners really know what the engineer should actually be doing?

But equally the boot might be on the other foot, and the engineer does not necessarily know what skills or experience their customer may have!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There appears to be a variance with AWS engineers and some AWS engineers websites.
Here’s an AWS engineers extract about “Gas Servicing”. My local chap does the same. I’m happy with what he does!

Gas Supply and Appliances

Fridge not serviced unless requested
Check regulator performance and carry out leak test
Check condition and date of flexible hose
Check condition and security of all pipe work
Check condition of LPG sticker on locker and security of gas bottles
Check gas dispersal holes for obstructions
Check fridge ignition, FFD and cooling
Check operation of cooker, hob and oven. Ignition, flame and FFD
Check operation of space heater. Ignition, flame, FFD
Check operation of water heater. Ignition, flame, FFD and heating
Check operation and condition of external gas point if fitted

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...Fridge not serviced unless requested
Check regulator performance and carry out leak test
Check condition and date of flexible hose
Check condition and security of all pipe work
Check condition of LPG sticker on locker and security of gas bottles
Check gas dispersal holes for obstructions
Check fridge ignition, FFD and cooling
Check operation of space heater. Ignition, flame, FFD
Check operation of water heater. Ignition, flame, FFD and heating
Check operation and condition of external gas point if fitted

And that demonstrates the wording . None of those "checks" involve breaking into any of the appliances.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There appears to be a variance with AWS engineers and some AWS engineers websites.
Here’s an AWS engineers extract about “Gas Servicing”. My local chap does the same. I’m happy with what he does!

Gas Supply and Appliances

Fridge not serviced unless requested

I wonder if that also includes checking whether the gas cut out on the hob works? Pity that they cannot check the cut out for the electric hob.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts