Servicing Question

ALH

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
A friend of mine is buying a new Avondale. The best deal he found was from a dealer some 100 miles away. He took details to his local dealer (5 miles away!) hoping that the deal could be matched or at least come close. Unfortunately this wasn't the case so he has decided to buy at the best price from the distant dealer. The local dealer asked where the caravan was going to be serviced since he would not carry out the servicing unless the van was bought from him! My friend suggested that if he found it difficult to travel the 100 miles for servicing he would use an independent firm which was quite local. The dealer then said that firm would not service the van either as 'they were family!'.

Now I think this is a little bit 'illegal' to say the least. The dealer concerned is a very well known Avondale dealer and I find it difficult to believe that he would stoop to putting this sort of pressure on a prospective buyer.

I would be grateful to hear what others think.

Thanks,

Al

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Al

Don't let them blackmail you.

The website "www.jones-vening.co.uk" has the section 'Approved schemes' which, when opened, offers a full regional list of Approved Workshops and I know from my own experience that many manufacturers, including Avondale, approve of servicing, and often warranty work, done there. My current Avondale had a leak fixed last year under warranty.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Nice question, well presented.

look forward to a few groveling answers.

particularly from the manufacturer who would of course be very interested in the debate

serfing caravaners of the world unite!!

ttfn

Mike

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I would be very tempted to have a word with Avondale and tell them you are considering contacting Trading Standards. It is appauling the way dealerships think they can get away with this nonsense.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
AL,

As has been said this is blackmail, I would write to Avondale without delay. We`ve just got rid of this senario in the car industry. It shouldn`t take much for this dealer to see sense.

Tony A.

G

One would have thought this would have made an ideal subject for some of the caravan press to address. A little bit of publicity regarding the 'good' and the 'bad' in the industry may make some of the manufacturers and dealers reconsider their practices. Although the dealer is at fault in this case, he is being supported by the manufacturer in one way or another and so has equal responsibility i would have thought. If the manufacturer is not happy, and is losing customers, then cut off the dealer.

However, methinks we will continue to get articles that seem to 'whitewash' all faults with certain brands.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Al - I have an e-mail from Avondale that says I can use a "Venning Jones" approved servicer. That should be good enough. Having said that I have my van serviced at my local Avondale dealership, having bought my van from a different company. They are good to do business with!

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts