Servicing

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

My van is about 18mnths old, would like to get it serviced ready for this years travels, is their a ball park figure it should cost?? is it same as a car i.e any problems they will let me know first, cant afford to turn up and just pay any old amount !!! My local would be Campells or Barrons in coppull/lostock hall, anyone had any dealings with them !! What would be done on first service etc etc...... its not under warranty by the way !!!!

Many thanks for your help !!!

Tina x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina, I would recommend looking around for a mobile caravan mechanic. They are often more convenient, they come to you and are cheaper too. JohnG is close with that figure of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina - I have used Campbells for annual service for the last 5/6 years and cannot really fault them. Not sure I fully trust them with warranty work - workmanship more than customer service. Customer service is generally good. Cost for single axle service is approx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina, I'd follow Lols advice & find a mobile servicer, less hassle & in my opinion as good if not better than what most dealers offer. Just had our single axle done for

G

Curious to know why an 18 month old van does not still have a warranty. Most vans will have at least a 5 year dampness warranty,if serviced correctly, ie by an approved dealer. Have you given up on that? If it is one of those deals where when the van is resold the warranty collapses, then sympathy is called for. How any manufacturer can still do this in the 21st century is beyond explanation.

At 18 months, depending on useage, most vans will only need inspection to ensure correct operation. There should be little wear and tear. If the fridge has been used mainly on electric then even here maintenance, at this stage, should be fairly minimal. So the main thing to be checked is the brakes and tow hitch for greasing. The majority of dealers can do this without too much difficulty, but again, as with many things in life, you get what you pay for. To my mind I would rather pay a few more pounds and have some come back.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Thanks ALL

ScotchLad Yes Unfortunately I fell for the Non-Transferable warranty! Van was registered sept04 ,I got it april o5, Didnt even think it was an issue with the warranty(my first van)just assumed it would be the same as a car and the dealer never piped up!!Lesson learnt!!!! The only saving grace have been truma who have continually been of excellent assistance through the (common)fault with my fire!! Now (fingers crossed!) fixed !

Incidentally van is a Lunar so let it be known they WONT transfer the warranty !!

Tina xx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina

If stuck for servicing, try website jones-vening.co.uk they have a list of approved workshops, not necessarily cheaper, but may be more convenient and do guaranteed workmanship usually including warranty work.

G

Tina,

As already mentioned, my sympathies on the behaviour of Lunar in not transfering warranties. It really shows how much, or lack of, confidence they have in their own products. Ironically Lunar also sell the European Chateau range of caravans here in the UK, which do have transferable warranties.

However, hopefully the dealer who sold you the van offered you at least a 12 month warranty on such a newish van which could at least partially help. Mind you as this is now 2006 and you bought in April 05, then even that would be just about expired.

I think I would return to the dealer you bought it from for at least the first service, in order to justify some claim against him, if something bad did appear. If some serious fault appeared you could at least threaten him with legal action. I would also insist on a full dampness check and a written statement of work carried out so that when you come to sell?? the van later you can produce some backup as to its condition under your ownership. This may be a little more expensive than some other servicing set ups but in the longer term may be worthwhile. If, in the meantime, you are happy with your van and feel it is fault free, then enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina,

I have had work done at Campbells in the past and I have been very happy with the results.

I am suprised that the dealer did not include a 1 year warranty as is normally the case...I presume it wasn't Campbells as they, I'm sure, would have done.What you have already found out though, is that many of the component parts are guaranteed for differing time periods by their individual manufacturer ie fridge,cooker,loo etc. All the manufacturer seems to offer is a guarentee on damp ingress.

Although the warranty might appear to be 5 years on some makes of vans, it doesn't necessarily cover all parts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts