Setting up a CL site

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi
Can anyone help. Taking early retirment and we have a spare acre of grass land with good access, thinking about setting up a small CL to keep me busy. I know i need to provide water,elsan point, electric and refuse disposal, i am not going to go the whole hog with bathroom falcilities. can anone point me in the right direction regarding the regulations and what i need to do

many thanks
Tony

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Why don't you give the CC a ring or contact them through their Club Together forum? There are other CL owners on there who will help with your questions and point you in the right direction. There is one owner I recall on this forum, David who has a farm CL in Suffolk. Hopefully he might also spot your post.

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your input guys, i have now heard back from teh caravan club, quite a simple process that does not require planning permission from local goverment. and all you require is

• A fairly level ½ acre of land
  • Safe access for caravans including 12ft wide gateway and safe approach road
  • Screening from neighbours and surrounding countryside
  • A breathtaking view (a real bonus!)
What you will be asked to provide
  • An emptying point for chemical closets, with rinsing tap, preferably on mains drainage
  • A safe drinking water supply
  • A bin for dry rubbish
  • Public Liability Insurance Cover
Optional extras
  • Electrical hook ups - Find out more about installing Electric hook-ups (PDF 18kb)
  • Showers and toilets
I would still love to hear from an exsisting CL owner who could give me some direction and advise regarding pitfalls etc.
Cheers

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I was talking to a CC site inspector last year and he said that electric hookups are now essential if a CL is to be successful. If you contact them an inspector will visit you and advise you on the suitability of your property and the requirements.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
With more and more people going for solar power I would wait and see how well it goes before putting in EHU

Its not cheap to set up and you will need to be inspected before you can open

Good Luck

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Tony.
Your request would take pages to write could we ask the mods to give you my Email address and start from there. We started our CL some 14 years ago, lots of ups and downs, but generaly fun.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
There are quite a few of us out there who do not require a hook up (even as a family of 5) and manage very well with our solar panals, led lighting makes all the difference!! To us location is much more important than facilities and we actively keep costs down by avoiding sites with hook ups. I would agree with Rita saying give it a go before investing too heavily. I would also say think carefully about whether you want to be tied to a CL or off in the caravan enjoying yourself, because people do like the owners of CL's to be around incase of problems. Whilst a CL would undoubtably keep you busy it's never going to make a huge profit especially with the expense of electrics. I hope you enjoy retirement whatever you decide to do

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Very good luck with your plans to start a CL.
I just wish there were many more folk with the same idea as you. Don't know which part of the country you are in, but Dorset can certainly do with a few more for a start!
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts