Setting Up After Winter

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Evening all. Just set the caravan up after winter. I’ve got a few issues I’m hoping someone can help me with. I’ve got a Bailey Pegasus GT 65 2014.
1. On the control panel the battery icon is showing just “V”, I’m assuming that the battery is flat? Will it charge while the the van is plugged into the power supply?
2. The heating isn’t working, the fan is working but blowing cold air, it won’t switch off.
3. Water flow in the bathroom is good, but just a trickle in the kitchen.
Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance
Ian

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have left the battery discharged over the winter period then it "may" charge but more likely to be damaged and need replacing, it may be possible to get it to work if you put it on a good charger in the garage for a few days.

As for the fire, you do not say whet fuel you are using, gas or electric?

The taps, probably limescale in the tap, remove the filter on the end of the tap and clean it.

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Damian, thought as much with the battery! The water pipes are clear. I’ve tried the heating on both electric and gas, no joy!
Thanks for your reply

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I agree with Damian's advice concerning the battery.

Can you please tell us the make and model of your heating system, as this will be important for helping with any diagnosis. When was the heating system last serviced? Because caravan are frequently left unused for extended periods of time, gas appliances can deteriorate, or in some instances insects can make them their home and that can impair or prevent their operation.

With regards the water problems, the first bit of good news is the pump seems to be ok because it supplies a good flow to the bathroom.

Can you please answer these questions

Do you get good flow on both hot and cold taps? If the flow is restricted on the hot, then their cloud be a problem with the flow through the water heater.

If the flow of both hot and cold is restricted in the kitchen, then it could be debris or lime scale build up in the filter on the taps nozzel.

Is your pump controlled by microswitches in each tap or a pressure switch? If it's microswitches, then it's possible the switches in the kitchen have failed.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
On my old Bailey, I found one way to check the micro switch, was to open the duff tap fully, then carefully open the wash room tap so that the micro switch is tripped, then check the flow out of the other tap. If it flows as normal, switch it is.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Taps - have a look at the end of the tap spout and see if the end unscrews. Within is a metal gauze and a plastic grid that easily become clogged with debris (including carbon lie bits from the water filter (if such is fitted to your van - it's worth replacing!).

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Prof
There’s good flow on both hot and cold water in the bathroom. Both hot and cold flow in the kitchen is just a trickle. I’ll check for debris when I’m down next. I honestly don’t know if the system works on pressure or micro switches, I’ll look into it. I’m new to caravaning, with just one season. Everything was working when I closed it up for the winter. Thanks for your reply

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
On my old Bailey, I found one way to check the micro switch, was to open the duff tap fully, then carefully open the wash room tap so that the micro switch is tripped, then check the flow out of the other tap. If it flows as normal, switch it is.
Thanks Dave

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hi

I agree with Damian's advice concerning the battery.

Can you please tell us the make and model of your heating system, as this will be important for helping with any diagnosis. When was the heating system last serviced? Because caravan are frequently left unused for extended periods of time, gas appliances can deteriorate, or in some instances insects can make them their home and that can impair or prevent their operation.

With regards the water problems, the first bit of good news is the pump seems to be ok because it supplies a good flow to the bathroom.

Can you please answer these questions

Do you get good flow on both hot and cold taps? If the flow is restricted on the hot, then their cloud be a problem with the flow through the water heater.

If the flow of both hot and cold is restricted in the kitchen, then it could be debris or lime scale build up in the filter on the taps nozzel.

Is your pump controlled by microswitches in each tap or a pressure switch? If it's microswitches, then it's possible the switches in the kitchen have failed.

It’s a Whale heating system, I’m afraid I don’t know the model. I’ll check it out in the next couple of days

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
audiorob said:
Taps - have a look at the end of the tap spout and see if the end unscrews. Within is a metal gauze and a plastic grid that easily become clogged with debris (including carbon lie bits from the water filter (if such is fitted to your van - it's worth replacing!).

Thanks Rob

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ianto490 said:
Thanks Prof
There’s good flow on both hot and cold water in the bathroom. Both hot and cold flow in the kitchen is just a trickle. I’ll check for debris when I’m down next. I honestly don’t know if the system works on pressure or micro switches, I’ll look into it. I’m new to caravaning, with just one season. Everything was working when I closed it up for the winter. Thanks for your reply

Your last few words there where you say you put it away for winter ..... caravanning is all year around so trick is don't put it away !!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. You can get an electrical and a gas lock out on Whale systems. If you google this you will find it. Whale are also very good at answering questions. Go to their website for their email.
To clear an electrical lock out, make sure you are on ehu. Turn the heating control to its top temperature and then turn the heater switch on, off and on again within 2.5 seconds.
Not sure about the gas lockout.
hope this helps
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its good to that both hot and cold work in the bathroom, as that should remove the heater from the list suspects. It really begins to point at a blockage in the the pipework or faulty microswitches.

Dave A1's suggestion is sound, If when teh bathroom taps are just cracked on, if the water then flows at the kitchen, that proves teh pipes are clear and it will be microswitches in the kitchen taps - or the wiring under neath the taps at fault. For you information, microswitches in every tap need to be wired in parallel, so that when ever any tap is opened the pump will turn on.

Often a caravan will have a lamp that lights up when the pump is powered, so that might also help with identifying whats going on.

If the pump is running, but the water is not flowing, then it points to a blocked tap.

Unfortunately Craig's advice may not suit everybody.

Some of us do have to store over winter, and it very important to to do a proper winter close up, especially in respect of draining the water systems to remove all water, when there is a danger it might freeze.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Mel said:
.... Turn the heating control to its top temperature and then turn the heater switch on, off and on again within 2.5 seconds.
hope this helps....

I will second this suggestion as this happened to us on our Bailey's when we had a voltage drop we were told the heating would have to be reset by doing this kind of method a few clicks to the right but within a few seconds of each other as this happened to us in France and I rang the Bailey's team and they talked me through it and he presto the system reset itself .

Good luck .

Mar 28, 2007
Visit site
If it’s the tap ends I can fully recommend these as replacements
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faucet-Aerator-Filter-Kitchen-Accessories/dp/B0792XB413
Hope the link works.
My local plumbers shop were useless, wanted to sell me new taps!

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi Lanto490,
My name is Rachel and I work in the marketing team for Whale.
Please contact our Customer Support Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. Contact details below.
Tel: 02891 270531 (weekdays) or 0845 217 2933 (weekends)
Email: info@whalepumps.com
Alternatively send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call today.
Best wishes
Rachel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts