Sewn in groundsheets

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Is there a good reason why awnings do not come with sewn in groundsheets like most modern tents? Add in a bathtub type edge to the groundsheet with Velcro on it where it would join at the draught skirt and you would get a really good seal.
Anyone know why not before I email Vango? 😀
Mel

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Weight, added cost, damage to grass, difficulty in manufacture, "our customers don't want it"
I reckon the list the manufacturers could use is darn near endless!
To me it sounds like a cracking idea, but as an end user what would I know?

Reactions: Mel
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is there a good reason why awnings do not come with sewn in groundsheets like most modern tents? Add in a bathtub type edge to the groundsheet with Velcro on it where it would join at the draught skirt and you would get a really good seal.
Anyone know why not before I email Vango? 😀
Mel
The best ideas go unnoticed. Shout loud Mel!!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Would not be good if pitched on a slope.

When we caravaned, we used an Isabella carpet. It would be far too heavy. Plus, by being separate, we could use the carpet for different awnings or canopies.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetonic

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Very prompt response from Vango. Well done, less than 2 hours and out of office hours:

Thanks for contacting AMG Group Customer Service

The reason for this is that caravans generally spend longer on a pitch than either tent or campervan users, therefore camp sites don't allow groundsheets in caravan awnings, as it will kill the grass if they are there longer term (even for 2+ weeks, this can start to have an effect). As a result, caravan awnings are supplied without groundsheets.

However, I’m not sure I buy it as Caravans spend more time on hardstandings than tents.

Heigh Ho, my genius wasted as usual. 😀
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We would never want a built in groundsheet on our awning as we can only just manage the awning. Plus of course the damage the groundsheet will do to the grass after only a few days never mind a week.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Personally I like a thick/cushioned breathable style ground sheet (on a grass pitch the other week the grass grew up through it, so the breathable properties work well!). I also like to be able to hang it on the line and jet-wash the inevitable mud stains off it so a separate ground sheet works well for us.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The reason as posted earlier is many sites will not allow groundsheets on grass pitches so fitting them would restrict sales far too much. If you only se hard standings hey would work but very few people can guarantee this and if you saw grass pitches after a long stay by a tent you would see the problem.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The reason as posted earlier is many sites will not allow groundsheets on grass pitches so fitting them would restrict sales far too much. If you only se hard standings hey would work but very few people can guarantee this and if you saw grass pitches after a long stay by a tent you would see the problem.
But to resist damage on a hard pitch the sewn in groundsheet would have to be very tough which would add even more to the weight. Tent campers tend to use a footprint underneath the groundsheet to protect it, and it also keeps dirt off the groundsheet. You can then hose the footprint seperately. .

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for helpful consumer feedback. Based on this, Mel’s Groundsheet Solutions ( not a real company) has gone back to the drawing board and is now proposing a zip in groundsheet ( such as you find on some up market trailer tents). This would be constructed of grass friendly breathable material. It would be possible to zip in before or after awning erection. Zipping in before would ensure a square awning, hence no kicking of the beams to get the thing into shape. Zipping in afterward would reduce weight. If awning manufacturers provided the zip fixings to the main canvas then a range of after market options could be developed.
The main downside would be an increase in cost to provide the zip but as many awnings cost in excess of 1k, I do not see the increase as being disproportionate.

I am awaiting the phone call from Dragons Den 😂😂
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for helpful consumer feedback. Based on this, Mel’s Groundsheet Solutions ( not a real company) has gone back to the drawing board and is now proposing a zip in groundsheet ( such as you find on some up market trailer tents). This would be constructed of grass friendly breathable material. It would be possible to zip in before or after awning erection. Zipping in before would ensure a square awning, hence no kicking of the beams to get the thing into shape. Zipping in afterward would reduce weight. If awning manufacturers provided the zip fixings to the main canvas then a range of after market options could be developed.
The main downside would be an increase in cost to provide the zip but as many awnings cost in excess of 1k, I do not see the increase as being disproportionate.

I am awaiting the phone call from Dragons Den 😂😂
Mel
Good idea using zips to gather dirt and becoming non functional after a few uses and requiring replacement at a cost. LOL! :LOL:

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sorry Mel, I don’t think it will work. I have noticed that if the ground is even slightly sloping, in one or both directions. The ground sheet, in relation to the skirts, varies greatly. So just where would the zip be located?

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Strangely enough someone else on another caravan forum has posed exactly the same question? :unsure:
Wasn’t me and I haven’t seen it. Plagiarism!
Should have been quicker with the patent.
Mel

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Sorry Mel, I don’t think it will work. I have noticed that if the ground is even slightly sloping, in one or both directions. The ground sheet, in relation to the skirts, varies greatly. So just where would the zip be located?

John
I thought of this. Basically bath tub sides on the ground sheet with the zip attaching just above the mud skirt like on trailer tents. Would also solve Buckmans issue of the zips getting dirty.

(Would strongly recommend no one takes this too seriously, just an entertaining thought experiment whilst sitting here, glass in hand, enjoying my awning………….maybe I should propose a device for solving the noseweight debate….now that would be engaging 😉)
Thanks for all the comments
Mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I thought of this. Basically bath tub sides on the ground sheet with the zip attaching just above the mud skirt like on trailer tents. Would also solve Buckmans issue of the zips getting dirty.

(Would strongly recommend no one takes this too seriously, just an entertaining thought experiment whilst sitting here, glass in hand, enjoying my awning………….maybe I should propose a device for solving the noseweight debate….now that would be engaging 😉)
Thanks for all the comments
Mel
Naughty Mel🤪

Reactions: Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts