Sheffield to Fort William

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone I am new to the site and would like to ask a question.

Has anyone on here done sheffield or similiar to fort william in one day.The furthest I have done in one day was sheffield to dalbeattie just below Dumfries.This was a few years ago and i seem to remember it took around the 4.30 mark although my memory is not what it was.I am looking at leaving about six on the morning I depart and wondered if it is to far a journey in one go.

Any tips or advice will be well received.

Many thanks

Roy

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Morning,Roy.

That's a pretty long journey in one go.In April we toured Scotland and made our first stop (from Castleford) at the C&CC site at Troutbeck near Penrith.

I'd certainly be tempted to do your trip in two stages,especially if you have kids (which we don't).

Enjoy it,what ever.

Dave

Apr 27, 2006
Visit site
Have just done North Shields to Fort William in 5 3/4 hours with a stop for the dog. Not sure how much further away is Sheffield but the drive was not a chore, and I do all the driving. Hope this helps. Which site are you staying at? Fort William is a lovely area to visit.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Roy.

Have just checked on the road atlas mileage chart and your journey,Sheffield to Fort William comes out at 511 miles.

It's roughly double that of Debbi from North Shields.

They aren't 100% accurate but mileage charts give you a decent enough idea.

Dave

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Me again,Roy.

Apologies for a c**k-up. Just double checked and I was on the wrong line.359 is the right figure....should have gone to Specsavers.

Dave

ps. still a long way in one go.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
I live in central scotland and I can do sheffield area in about 6 hrs. with a short break and I can do fort william in under 3 so you will be looking at somewhere between 8 and 10 hrs

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Roy

Normally Liverpool to Oban takes me about 7 hours of driving time in an artic and I would reckon you probally have another 30 miles on that.

Remeber one persons wee jaunt is another's overnighter. Drive to your limitations bearing in mind that you will have to setup when you get there.

Enjoy your holiday and remeber the midges are out early this year I got a few bites up at Fort William on Friday.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
From the other posts you will have an idea how long it will take, use that with your own knowlege of how you cope behind the wheel to make the decision, each year we drive to Andorra in a one'r having a break on the tunnel and sharing the driving but it's still 1075 miles in one go with three children, thank goodness for the in car dvd.

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi X11

Thanks to everyone for your pieces of advice.I wonder X11 should I go through Glasgow or cut across towards falkirk/stirling would I miss traffic queues that way

Thanks in advance

Roy

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Roy

If you are leaving at 6 you target time for glasgow will be mid morning so just take the direct route across the Erskine bridge as the traffic genarlly flows quite well. Rember when you have the caravan on the back if the traffic trundles along at 50 it does'nt really affect your overall time as your not looking to do 80.

If you are going this way as you enter Glasgow on the M8 as much as possible stay in the inside lane it is genarlly faster. When the motorway goes to 5 lanes stay in lane 3 (the old inside lane) this will again become the inside lane, stay in it over the Kingston bridge following the signs for the Airport till you see sign for Erskine bridge. Once across follow signs for Crainlanrich.

I normally stop at Hamilton services for my break this being around the 4 hr mark. Its after Glasgow that the slow bit of the jorney starts but just take it in your stride your on holiday if the traffic slows you slow take it easy and watch your speed on A82 for unmarked cars.

Jun 19, 2008
Visit site
Roy

If you are leaving at 6 you target time for glasgow will be mid morning so just take the direct route across the Erskine bridge as the traffic genarlly flows quite well. Rember when you have the caravan on the back if the traffic trundles along at 50 it does'nt really affect your overall time as your not looking to do 80.

If you are going this way as you enter Glasgow on the M8 as much as possible stay in the inside lane it is genarlly faster. When the motorway goes to 5 lanes stay in lane 3 (the old inside lane) this will again become the inside lane, stay in it over the Kingston bridge following the signs for the Airport till you see sign for Erskine bridge. Once across follow signs for Crainlanrich.

I normally stop at Hamilton services for my break this being around the 4 hr mark. Its after Glasgow that the slow bit of the jorney starts but just take it in your stride your on holiday if the traffic slows you slow take it easy and watch your speed on A82 for unmarked cars.
I live in Sheffield and have done this exact journey and followed the route you've suggested, I think it's certainly the best way.

However, unless I had somebody to spell me off I'd do it with an overnight stop north of Glasgow, it's a very, very long journey.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts