shock absorbers

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
after reading that some new vans are fitted with shock absorbers,i was wondering if it is worth fitting some to our van.its a 2007 sterling europa 540 1500kg max.

how much are they?are they worth fitting?can i fit them myself fairly easily?any advice is gladly appreciated

thanks in advance

dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Big Dave,

I can only answer part of your question - Yes it does make a difference to the towing characteristics of a caravan, it is smoother, and the caravan may be less prone to instability. The degree of the improvement is dependant on your particular combination of car and caravan.

Most modern chassis from Alko already have the necessary holes in the chassis to accept dampers, and of course the dampers should be available.

What I cant tell you about is the complexity of fitting, but I suggest you contact your caravan supplier and ask them to confirm the availability of parts and costs.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I think you will need the red shock absorbers for a 1500kg van. I fitted a pair last year to my Indiana and it is an easy job. The hardest bit is jacking up the van and removing the wheel!

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I've just fitted them, took me two hours but that was beacause I couldn't fit a socket onto the top mounting because of the motor mover (Powrtouch 3) and my 19mm ring spanner wasn't where it should be, so I had to wait for my neighbour to get home from work so I could borrow his. As I suspected, the hardest part was jacking up the van with a scissor jack under the axle. Perhaps a Kojack will be on my Xmas list (or call out the AA if we get a puncture)

Depending on the weather I might try them out this weekend - not that I'm a fair weather 'vanner but, if the weather is good, I'll go sailing instead.

Feb 6, 2006
Visit site
hi all,

I have a bailey burgundy 1450kg and fitted red shockers in about 15 minutes for both sides and did not need to remove wheels.Its a bit tight having to crawl under but not to bad.Top of shocker was fitted to the middle hole and measurements all matched to spec.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi, fitted shocks this morning. Didnt seem too difficult. Ive got a 30mm gap between the inside edge of the mover and the red casing of the shock is that enough gap??

Kevin

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Dave, after fitting the shocks today took the van out for a test drive and boy what a difference. Road from our house to the main Tiverton roads poor and the shocks worked well. It was as smooth as the car going over bumps and into rutts. Well worth the

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
thanks trucker,you've been very helpfull.like you,i've just got to convince the wifey.were going to carsington water in 3 weeks so i'll hopefully have some fitted by then.

cheers

dave

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
As the weather wasn't everso good for sailing, we took the van down to Brighton with the new shocks on - a definite improvement. The slightly bouncy feel that we got round our country lanes has gone and the van just feels more stable (not that it was unstable before) You can now hardly feel lorries as they thunder past, even my wife sitting in the passenger seat has noticed the difference. I reckon it was

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Gary I fitted shock absorbers to my 2007 Indiana and it has a Powtrtouch mover fitted. No problems at all.

Graeme.
hi guys

thats really interesting about those shocks i have never heard of a retro fit but ive done my homework today and it looks like ill be getting 2 pairs of those shortly thanks 4 that info

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts