Shocks, how much!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Read a few things on here of late about fitting shock absorbers to caravans. I have a 2004 Swift Lifestyle and was wondering if anybody will know the price to fit these things. Thanks all.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Paul,

Take a look in your Swift owners manual, there is a section on optional shock absorbers and a reference to the price list.

The ALKO chassis has pre-punched holes to accomodate the ALKO Octagon Schock Absorbers. On the Euro Axle system, the swing arms have a removable plastic cap that reveals the slot which accomodates the retro-fit brackets.

Prices should start around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morning

I have never towed a caravan or trailer with shocks fitted so I make no comment on the value - but I cannot see how they would do anything OTHER than improve ride/towing.

My point is the only time I have had anything bounce and chop when being towed was when what I was towing had a defective tyre. A bulge appeared in the side wall that extended up into the tread. This developed after a 20 mile journey and a visual inspection prior to setting off showed nothing amis.

There have been reports on this forum of even new caravans having tyre problems - before going to the expence of fitting shocks - it may be sensible to get the tyres properly checked.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought some Alko dampers in a sale and keep swapping them on to new caravans.

Don't know if they make much difference but its nice to have the peace of mind and if I go to Germany again (must re-vist Berlin, although Lutz the Berliner luft produced two children but at our age it would have to blow hard now!!)

I had the wheels balanced on the caravan(they were a lot out) and it seems amazing that all van wheels aren't balanced on manufacture.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Morning CliveV,

Our first Eriba Touring just had the standard ALKO axle, with rubber suspension, and it was more than OK. But Eriba vans are known to tow well, so we weren't too surprised.

But last year we bought our new Eriba, which came with the ALKO Octagon shocks as standard, and the difference is unbelievable.

With the same car we notice less noise when towing, less roll on bends, and less disturbance when overtaking lorries.

So would I fit shocks if I had to pay for them? Yes I would.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob

I certainly don't think I gave any other impression than that I think shocks are a good idea. It was the fact that several reports of new tyres (Hankooks I think) were balooning.

Without a shock absorber the imbalance will be transmitted to the axle and a vibration felt.

A shock absorber will improve the ride. But if a caravan is "bouncing" as mentioned on another post - it is probably best to get the tyres checked first.

My "bouncing" trailer returned to its normal docile self as soon as we put the spare on. The tyre that ballooned was not that old but when looked at "square on" you could see it was slightly "egg shaped".

This is apparently common when unbalanced wheels/tyres are run for even short distances. The imbalance and centrifugal force end up causing the fabric of the tyre to break up.

Certainly NOT saying anything against shocks - I have uprated Gas Shocks on my Range Rover that cost a fortune compared to OEP's - but they are worth every penny.

Just don't ignore the basics. If a tyre bursts on a caravan I am not sure that having had shocks fitted would make a "hapeth" of diference.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I was just saying that it was a surprise for us to discover the difference that shocks make to one of the best towing vans in Europe.

Do I understand from your posts that UK made vans don't have balanced wheels from new?

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob

Yes that is my understanding.

When I have a new trailer/caravan tyre ritted I have to ask for it to be balanced. The fitter once said "Most people don't bother".

Scary or what!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A lot of people (wrongly) think that the balancing of wheels on a car is to stop vibration at speeds which is probably why no thought is given to balancing caravan wheels.

I've got Hankook tyres on my 2002 Sterling and I check them regularly (almost becoming some sort of compulsive disorder!!!) as I've heard too many stories of premature failure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A lot of people (wrongly) think that the balancing of wheels on a car is to stop vibration at speeds which is probably why no thought is given to balancing caravan wheels.

I've got Hankook tyres on my 2002 Sterling and I check them regularly (almost becoming some sort of compulsive disorder!!!) as I've heard too many stories of premature failure.
Yes,you have to check tyre pressures,side walls,wheel bolt torque,break away chain,operation of lights and fridge,double knots in shoe laces and belt and braces .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts