Should caravans and motorhomes park separately on sites?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having arrived on a caravan club site recently, we parked our caravan in a line with other caravans, each having a view across the open countryside. The next day a large coach like motorhome parked sideways across the front of our caravan and all we could see was the large white side wall!! As motor homes are often so much taller than caravans, and often longer, would it not be a good idea to give them their own section on sites so they could park knowing they are not blocking the views of caravans alongside or behind them - after all, it must make them feel awkward, especially if there isn't any choice of pitch left?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Motorhomes do have similar but different requirements from a site, but segregating them to a motorhome ghetto is probably unworkable.

Why? Most sites have a fixed boundary and can't easily expand, so however you split the site between caravans and motorhomes would mean that some times one part would be full and the other underused.

If you couldn't get on a site because the caravan section was full, but the motorhome section was empty - or vice versa - you might be miffed.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your points are all valid Robert. However, the site wouldn't need to set pitches strictly for each category, but could put up a sign that motorhomes will be using this area, then once that area is full they would then move over a little onto the caravan pitches if necessary, and vice versa, if arriving on site all the caravan areas were full with caravans, then you could simply park next to the motorhomes, but at least you would know that your neighbours are larger and taller than you when you set up pitch! You might also wait before putting up your awning if the wardens tell you that another pitch will be available the next day for example.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
When booking motorhome pitches the owners have to stipulate the size/length of their unit. The reason for this is that many CC sites don't have sufficient pitches to put these monsters on. However, I don't think that segragation is the right way to go. If it was sited correctly then it shouldn't have blocked your view. Perhaps you should have spoken to the Warden and asked his advice.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
It was abit rude to park in such a way but a them and us policy ? No i don't think i would like that, its nice to get on with my neighbours whether they be in a caravan a motorhome or a tent.

G

One has to assume it was a recognised pitch ie, there was a little white peg somewhere. If it had been a very large twinaxle caravan would there have been any difference as far as blocking your view. Most motorhomes have heights of 3 meters, vans are around 2.6 meters.

It is annoying but the sites are cramming in as many pitches as they legally can, and this often means putting vans in the middle of groups. It is one difference between the CC and the C&CC, in the former you pick your own pitch, in the latter you are directed to a pitch. Both have advantages and disadvantages, depending on your luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have no issue with mixing Caravans and Motorhomes together although I feel that the regulation of distance between them may be compromised due to the size of some of the motorhomes.

I last year was pitched at Chatsworth and on comes one of the biggest Motorhomes available and pitched 3 feet away from my caravan. with the jugganaught(motorhome) being higher than us their windows looked down into our van resulting in us having to keep the blinds down to have some privacy. the wardens admitted that the distance rule had been breached by the Motorhome but did not do anything abought it.

TRENDING THREADS