Should dealers tell us more

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Hello all. Would just like a bit of help really.

I'm brand new to caravaning having only picked up our van a little over two weeks ago(Lunar Quasar 615). Although its quite a large van for a novice my other half fell in love with it as it has and end bedroom for the two little monsters, erm, I mean our two wonderful sons (6,9). The salesman who dealt with us assured us that my Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi would be more than adequate for the job of towing our new van.

Two weeks later we collected the van and after a short introduction to all its features, which I forgot almost immediately, we set off down the M5 to the CC's site at Hillhead (Excellent site, are they all up to this standard or have we been spoiled on our first trip?) The car seemed to handle the extra load although it crawled up the hills and I smelled the clutch on more than one occasion (is that normal?).

Its only since reading this magazine, crackin' read it is too, that I've been introduced to things like MIRO, MTPLM and known the difference between kerbweight and a paperweight!

After applying the 85% rule I've found that I'm okay to tow the van as long as there's nothing in it! Once I've added our payload the van is 123Kg over the 85% weight (1323Kg). Is this acceptable or am I putting my family and other road users at risk? Should I look at getting a bigger vehicle? But more importantly should the dealer have informed me of this fact before I purchased the van in the first place??

Thanks for your help,

Deano .34yrs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Deano

The very first thing our dealer did was a towsure check when we bought our van about 4 weeks ago to make sure it was OK to tow with our Rover. Also when we were looking at caravans at various dealers, each time they came and took the info of the plate on our car to ensure that they would only show us suitable vans. I think this is terrible that they have not made you aware of this. I think if you find that your car is not a good match (this free site looks good, i have just tried it) you will have good reason to go back and complain. I am sure when you made your new purchase, you were not expecting to have to replace for car to tow it! Good Luck and keep us all informed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The maximum permissible towload of the Mondeo 2.0 TDCi is 1800kg which is well over the 85% figure, so the dealer cannot be held responsible for selling you a product that is technically unsuitable. If you're 123kg over the 85% figure, you will be around 93% and still well within the maximum permissible. Perhaps he could have pointed out that this ratio is a bit high for a novice but, unless there is a legal issue at stake, which there isn't in this case, the final decision whether it's OK or not rests with the buyer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Lutz. I tow an 05 Proence MTPLM 1420kgs with a TDCI hatch (1515 kg kerb weight. Of course I will get nowhere near this figure, and the easiest way of ensuring you are not overloading van or car is by weighing the essentials as they are put in, thus ensuring you know an approximate weight of the acual laden van. As a novice you might be expecting solo performance from the Mondeo, and regards the clutch, it is a common occurence not just with the Mondeo but VAG group cars as well, buy a caravan mover for manouvreing on site or at home.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would suggest you be very wary of your payload. As a new caravanner, it is likely that your list of 'essentials' will escalate rapidly! - you don't say whether you will be carrying an awning & groundsheets etc,. It is surprising too, how quickly the list of wheel clamp, hitch lock, jack, spare wheel, aqua rolls, waste containers, windbreaks, tables, chairs, TV, barbecue etc, etc, just grows and grows. Perhaps also, the children may want to take bikes, scooters and stuff. Whilst you might be within your limits initially, you could soon find yourself going beyond them.

Apr 8, 2005
Visit site
I have the same Mondeo, it's only a month old but the clutch stinks when towing. Made some enquiries and apparently it's a feature of the car!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Deano, The earlier respondents have covered most of the points, but just in case you are labouring under a misconception, 85% is guideline not a rule, however it is a sensible target, at least until you have gained more experience. I do not think the dealer is obliged to tell anyone about the suitability of an outfit, it is exclusively the responsibility of the driver to ensure their rig is roadworthy and legal, but again it is good customer service to point out the issues. Smelling clutches, Perhaps I am under a misconception, but unless the clutch is slipping there should be friction to generate heat to vapourise the clutch plate materials. I might expect smells whilst manoeuvring, but not when you are under way at speed. If the plate is smelling under driving conditions and the outfit is within the manufactures limits, then it suggests you may need to refer to the dealer to have it rectified.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is part of the point of this thread not also that Deano had no knowledge of any of this until after he got his caravan home and started using this site and reading PC etc. I understand that the the weight ratio may be OK now reading through the replies, but still think it is bad that the dealer did not check any of this or make Deano at least aware of the basics of towing? I would not want to buy from such a dealer..

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The dealer does not have any responsibility for matching your car to the caravan that you want. If you live in a small flat and go buy a whopping 1000 watt amplifier for your music the salesman is under no obligation to find out if y90ur flat is suitable for such a large amplifier.

As far as caravans are concerned, for all they know you might want the caravan on seasonal site, however a good dealer should make all the necessary inquiries about your vehicle etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the same Mondeo, it's only a month old but the clutch stinks when towing. Made some enquiries and apparently it's a feature of the car!
I had to laugh when I read this as it sounds as though you use the same Ford dealer as I do!!! My car's extensive rust is normal for a car of its age, apparently ( I think they mean normal for a Ford car) and the fact that I have to double de-clutch to get into reverse is because the gear box has been improved. I think you have to have a good sense of humour to own a Ford!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts