SHOULD I CHANGE FROM STANDARD HITCH TO ALKO-HITCH?

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a standard hitch, and use a bulldog stabiliser on my 2009 Mondeo 2.2 towing a relatively light ((MTPLM of 1060kg) 1993 Swift Diamond Corvette.
Simple question.
What would the benefits (if any) of paying to change to a more modern Alko-hitch ?
Should I consider it, or is my current set up just as efficient / stable ?
Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I did a similar switch a few years back. The Bulldog stabiliser is very good, and particularly effective at damping vertical pitching on twin axles, although they can be somewhat creaky in use. The big gain for me (cost aside) is the reduced time and effort in mounting /dismounting the stabiliser, not to mention the weight of the thing and required fittings.

The tube to which the hitch is fitted can come in various sizes, so make sure your purchase has the necessary shims included should they be needed. I fitted the BP Winterhoff which has been totally reliable, for which a neat Robstcok hitchlock is available. I saw these very recently in a dealer shop with a cost today well over £400 so it is an expensive purchase.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
If you are considering a change, Alko isn't the only make. There's the Winterhoff. 3000. My present caravan is fitted with one and since buying the van, I've been very impressed with it. Currently there's a used one on ebay for £80.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A pointless and costly exercise for no gain. What you have works as well as the latest stabilisers although I accept there is a small amount of physical effort required when hitching up.
If it works why fix it? :silly:

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Dustydog said:
A pointless and costly exercise for no gain. What you have works as well as the latest stabilisers although I accept there is a small amount of physical effort required when hitching up.
If it works why fix it? :silly:
yes I must agree if it works leave it alone and use the money for more trips with the van,
I know they are a little old hat but they worked 30 years ago and are still just as good as they were, Alko's do have problems, so it is not a water tight solution to anything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts