Should we get a refund?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In June our vehicle broke down and we had to cancel a site for which we had paid. Not their fault, however in the total cost was a charge for two dogs of £35. Should we request a refund of the charges for the dogs?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
No harm in asking as the charge for the dogs (-which I struggle to see justification for) is an "extra" and had you not had dogs wouldn't have been levied anyway.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This depends on the T's and C's of the site...
I can understand losing the charge for the pitch which included 2 people, but not sure of the dogs which were an extra?

Just to add that taking out holiday insurance was not worth the cost. I think the company wanted about £200 for the 21 days we would have been away.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Strictly speaking the dogs are an optional extra over and above the basic contract for the EHU pitch for one car, one caravan and two persons. Was the awning an “Optional” extra?

IMO yes. As the dogs were optional extras they are outside the base contract so the site owners cannot claim for them. Get your dog cost back!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’d just contact the Club and ask. We look at travel insurance for UK breaks but it’s virtually the same as going to Europe, but here we have free NHS healthcare etc. Although an annual policy often includes Europe and booked holidays in Britain. Whether vehicle breakdown is included would need to be checked although public transport issues may be included as standard. Doesn’t get any simpler does it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This depends on the T's and C's of the site...
I totally agree.

Regardless of whether the dogs or additional persons being extra if that was the contract that you agreed (proof of agreement being your acceptance of the charges and paying them) then you are governed by the the t&c's the site applied to the contract you have agreed.

Presumably, the site had made all the preparations, and were waiting for you to arrive. Your non attendance was breach of contract and not caused by the site, so why should the site offer you any refund ?

See what their T&C's say, as that is what governs your contract.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I totally agree.

Regardless of whether the dogs or additional persons being extra if that was the contract that you agreed (proof of agreement being your acceptance of the charges and paying them) then you are governed by the the t&c's the site applied to the contract you have agreed.

Presumably, the site had made all the preparations, and were waiting for you to arrive. Your non attendance was breach of contract and not caused by the site, so why should the site offer you any refund ?

See what their T&C's say, as that is what governs your contract.
The site was informed that we would not be able to take up the pitch as soon as we knew that the vehicle could not be repaired locally. As said no objection to losing the pitch charge as the site was not at fault, but as the dogs were an optional extra I think we should be entitled to a refund.

No fun losing nearly £400 for the site, the cost of the repair to the vehicle, the rental vehicle,the cost of the repair to the vehicle and then to add to our misery £35 Parking Charge in Dartmouth even though we had a BB displayed and to crown it all a £35 admin charge from the rental company for dealing with the invoice! Sorry about the hard luck story, but at least we are consistent with our luck! LOL! :cry:

In two minds whether to carry on, sell up or find a seasonal pitch. The latter is more preferable.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The site was informed that we would not be able to take up the pitch as soon as we knew that the vehicle could not be repaired locally. As said no objection to losing the pitch charge as the site was not at fault, but as the dogs were an optional extra I think we should be entitled to a refund.

No fun losing nearly £400 for the site, the cost of the repair to the vehicle, the rental vehicle,the cost of the repair to the vehicle and then to add to our misery £35 Parking Charge in Dartmouth even though we had a BB displayed and to crown it all a £35 admin charge from the rental company for dealing with the invoice! Sorry about the hard luck story, but at least we are consistent with our luck! LOL! :cry:

In two minds whether to carry on, sell up or find a seasonal pitch. The latter is more preferable.
At least a nice seasonal would still allow you to get away at short notice when circumstances or weather allow it. We had a seasonal booked and paid in the Forest of Dean starting March 2020. It would have allowed both or one of us to get there within a 90 minute drive. That way we could have circumvented family crises. But Covid put paid to that plan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At least a nice seasonal would still allow you to get away at short notice when circumstances or weather allow it. We had a seasonal booked and paid in the Forest of Dean starting March 2020. It would have allowed both or one of us to get there within a 90 minute drive. That way we could have circumvented family crises. But Covid put paid to that plan.
About two to three years ago after OH's hospitalisation and concern about her walking we put our names down for a seasonal site in Weston and then forgot about it. I contacted them about 3 weeks ago and apparently our names are now top of the list. Season is from 1st April until 31st Oct. Winter storage is £200.

One of the advantages is that we can leave the caravan on the pitch all year round and there is a warden that lives on the premises or we can go off for a couple of weeks. The barrier is ANPR controlled.

However I would need to get a quote from the insurance company first. Just in case we will hold onto our place at the CASSOA site in case the seasonal doesn't work for us. If we let the storage pitch go we go to the bottom of the list and the pitches are very much in demand. The waiting list to get onto the CASSOA site is long. A small price to pay for peace of mind.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
About two to three years ago after OH's hospitalisation and concern about her walking we put our names down for a seasonal site in Weston and then forgot about it. I contacted them about 3 weeks ago and apparently our names are now top of the list. Season is from 1st April until 31st Oct. Winter storage is £200.

One of the advantages is that we can leave the caravan on the pitch all year round and there is a warden that lives on the premises or we can go off for a couple of weeks. The barrier is ANPR controlled.

However I would need to get a quote from the insurance company first. Just in case we will hold onto our place at the CASSOA site in case the seasonal doesn't work for us. If we let the storage pitch go we go to the bottom of the list and the pitches are very much in demand. The waiting list to get onto the CASSOA site is long. A small price to pay for peace of mind.
We were also planning to retain the Cassoa pitch although the van could live at home. CMHC were our insurance and they had no specific requirements other than security devices.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Years back in laws went seasonal at Bidford on Avon about an hour from their home. They spent most of the summer there plus at least every other weekend during the year.
I’d hedge my bets. Try a seasonal for say six months and retain the CASSOA. Then decide which one to keep.

Reactions: Buckman

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We had a seasonal pitch for some seven years while we both working and family life had its stresses. Loved it and it saved my sanity; one of our best caravan related decisions. Go for it. We were at Plas Farm in North Wales.
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Well there nothing lost by asking but don't be surprised if the answer is no, Why not check their T&C's

And if you don't get the fees back or the T&C do not allow it you could try sueing them for an unfair contract .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well there nothing lost by asking but don't be surprised if the answer is no, Why not check their T&C's

And if you don't get the fees back or the T&C do not allow it you could try sueing them for an unfair contract .
The T&Cs are very much open interpretation. They state; Cancellation received 28 days or less before start date. Charge is 100% of holiday price; no refund.

It is £35 so I would be extremely foolish to even consider suing them. If they object, the whole issue revolves around the optional cost for the dogs. The latter is an optional extra and may not be part of the original contract as the site never suffered any loss by the dogs not being there.

Anyway i have contacted them and asked about a refund so time will tell. If you do not ask, you will never know.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The T&Cs are very much open interpretation. They state; Cancellation received 28 days or less before start date. Charge is 100% of holiday price; no refund.

It is £35 so I would be extremely foolish to even consider suing them. If they object, the whole issue revolves around the optional cost for the dogs. The latter is an optional extra and may not be part of the original contract as the site never suffered any loss by the dogs not being there.

Anyway i have contacted them and asked about a refund so time will tell. If you do not ask, you will never know.
The cancellation period for no refund is very much on a par with other holiday providers such as commercial sites, cottages, packages etc. Although with most commercial providers you will have paid within four weeks of arrival, although 8 to 12 weeks is not unusual. That’s why cancellation insurance is offered but the T&Cs can be restrictive, no different to insurance for overseas holidays.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Prof raises a very important point “unfair Contract”,
Let me develop that idea.
In Insurance Law you cannot make a profit out of a loss.
The corollary I suggest here is the site are making a profit on the dog cost plus a big profit on the unused electricity . I’d ask for a rebate on these two items. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The reality is that most commercial hospitality businesses have similar terms. For years if you cancelled a hotel you had the right to expect a refund less costs if they let the rooms again. But I wonder how many ever received such refunds? Yet no formal regulation exists to facilitate such refunds. It’s up to the customer. Some organisations such as Premier Inn, or Bookings.com allow cancellation right up to check in times. But then your quoted rates are quite a bit higher.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Prof raises a very important point “unfair Contract”,
Let me develop that idea.
In Insurance Law you cannot make a profit out of a loss.
The corollary I suggest here is the site are making a profit on the dog cost plus a big profit on the unused electricity . I’d ask for a rebate on these two items. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
The site would also be making a profit if they were able to rebook the pitch.

I've never seen T&C which provides for return of deposit, or total fees, if the accomodation is re-let - but back in 2018 when I was taken off the road because of health issues, two CLs in Scotland returned our deposits, without being asked, as they were able to rebook the pitches.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The cancellation period for no refund is very much on a par with other holiday providers such as commercial sites, cottages, packages etc. Although with most commercial providers you will have paid within four weeks of arrival, although 8 to 12 weeks is not unusual. That’s why cancellation insurance is offered but the T&Cs can be restrictive, no different to insurance for overseas holidays.
The fee for the site was about £350 for several days. The insurance company wanted a premium of over £200 for our 3 week holiday. Total fees for the three week holiday under £700 hence our reluctance to take out UK holiday insurance as basically all they covering is the loss of the fees paid and the T&Cs seem to read as if it was almost impossible to claim. If it had been about £100 or less we may have considered it, but even then the T&Cs were a concern.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The fee for the site was about £350 for several days. The insurance company wanted a premium of over £200 for our 3 week holiday. Total fees for the three week holiday under £700 hence our reluctance to take out UK holiday insurance as basically all they covering is the loss of the fees paid and the T&Cs seem to read as if it was almost impossible to claim. If it had been about £100 or less we may have considered it, but even then the T&Cs were a concern.
That’s been my findings too. Last November we paid £1200 upfront for a two week let in Boat of Garten for mid June 2024. We looked at insurance but it was very expensive. In March-April I had an operation and there was the possibility of follow up tests, scans or even treatment being required. So we cancelled at the cut off date 6 weeks prior to arrival and got a quick refund via VRBO. Fortunately the need for medical things went away in that period so we booked a short notice rental in a nice area of Wales and the lady only required payment in cash too.

Our grandson gets good deals on AirBNB by keeping his holiday period free then going for late offers. Picked up a nice Lodge on Dartmoor this week at 50% reduction in nightly rate. But of course if there is somewhere you particularly want to stay you may have no option but to commit to an early booking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman and RogerL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts