Should we wait?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
After a couple of years using tents my wife, daughter and I have decided to enter the world of caravanning. We have just purchased a large 4x4 to replace our small family car and have a budget of £6,000 to spend on a caravan. The question is, should we wait until the end of the season to get a better deal?

I have read conflicting arguments about this. If we bought one now we would be able to take advantage of what is left of the summer (!). But I am more than willing to wait if it means that a flood of additional caravans may come to market in a month or so. I am assuming that the extra availability may also increase the likelihood of a discount - please tell me if I am wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Welcome to the world of caravaning, it full of fun and enjoy it, one thing what ever van you buy any time of the year it being in the right place at the right time of the year, but do take your time and make sure that the right van is for you,

Don't rush it because you have a lot of dosh to spend,

If you are buying for the first time at the dealer do ask if they will throw any caravaning gear in with the sale of the van, like a Wheel clamp ect!! go on try it play hard, as they say in life if you don't ask you won't get it, Good Luck, Trevor

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi,september is when the new caravans from manufacturers go on show(the lawns hull)so people who buy will usually get delivery either very late on in the year or usually between jan to march 2010.more often than not a trade in caravan will be part of the deal so really from jan to march is when the dealer is trying to get rid of stock ready for the influx of trade offs,this could be a good time for some bargains

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Ah, right. Just what I needed - thanks.

What about a private sale? It has been suggested to me that every year there is usually an influx of people who, for whatever reason, have decided to stop caravanning and sell up. If this is the case then there would be the opportunity for a bargain if so many are up for sale all at once (?).

Or should I stop being a tight-wad and get out and buy one now whilst the school holidays are still on???

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Edgar;If your heart is set on a caravan and you see one you really like go fot it,Some sites are 12 months and some winter months are just as nice as summer sometimes better no crowds it great

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I intend to go throughout winter if possible - it is good to know I am not alone! Not sure about how the wife feels on this matter however. She tends to feel the cold more than me!

We have decided to go all out and try and find something now, if the price is right. Thanks to everyone for your advice and guidance.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The main English caravan exhibitions are on in the next couple of months Edgar, The Lawns, Malvern and the NEC and there will be a few used caravans where the owners haven't obtained the part exchange price that they'd hoped for. These can often be good buys when buying privately.Do a bit of research first to find out which layout is best for you and look for a good example. There are used caravans for sale from this website, just click on the Home Page and follow the links to the 'vans for sale site where you can enter your criteria, price etc.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forsale/

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for the advice. We are now considering a four berth with a large end washroom, as opposed to the fixed bed layout that we previously considered.

I think we are going to start looking to buy as soon as possible, or as soon as the right van comes along at the right price. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts